What Are Some Things Most Mormons Like That You Dislike?

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: What Are Some Things Most Mormons Like That You Dislike?

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

That's a good one! I'm really hoping that those rumors about trying out a 2-hour block are true.

That also reminds me: people keep saying how beautiful our church buildings are (referring to the meetinghouses, not the temples). Really? Have you seen a Catholic meetinghouse? Those are beautiful. Our meetinghouses are, well, utilitarian. Which has its place, certainly, but there are few places where I feel more at home and in tune to the Spirit than I do at St. Francis's. (Yes, I'm going to keep talking about it. My parents actually asked me if I was planning to convert to Catholicism.)
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Tim the Monkey

Post by Tim the Monkey »

bismark wrote:I'm usually ready to call it a day by the time the first sacrament meeting speaker makes the same lame joke about getting tricked in to speaking by a sneaky second counselor in the bishopric.
YES. AMEN. Can I add to that any time the speaker begins their talk saying anything about how much they hate public speaking or how they feel so nervous or so unprepared? Can we all just take a second to realize we've all been there (literally...) and so the disclaimer isn't necessary? We get your talk isn't going to be perfect, and that's okay! We love you anyways! :D But please, quit making it worse by starting out with self-degradation! :cry:

Also:
-Using "Proposition 8" as a euphemism for support for the same-sex marriage movement/general gay rights movement (the Church was supporting "yes on 8" remember? The proposition was opposing the thing you're upset over...).
-Comments in Church with unnecessary preambles/"context" (especially the ones that go like: "So, I was the only Mormon within 5000 miles where I grew up..." 90% of the time, this statement is completely irrelevant to the story about to be told...the other 10%, it's a little irrelevant)
-Apologizing for being from Utah (and I'm not even from Utah!)
-Expecting people from Utah to apologize for being from Utah
-Ugly sweater parties
-Primary programs

It's been years since posting on the forums (and I sound like I eat kittens for breakfast...) but uh...yes. This is how strongly I feel about these things. Just say "no," kids...just say no.
Portia

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:That's a good one! I'm really hoping that those rumors about trying out a 2-hour block are true.

That also reminds me: people keep saying how beautiful our church buildings are (referring to the meetinghouses, not the temples). Really? Have you seen a Catholic meetinghouse? Those are beautiful. Our meetinghouses are, well, utilitarian. Which has its place, certainly, but there are few places where I feel more at home and in tune to the Spirit than I do at St. Francis's. (Yes, I'm going to keep talking about it. My parents actually asked me if I was planning to convert to Catholicism.)
Are you?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Pssh, not a chance. Mormons have enough kids. I'm not going Catholic.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:Pssh, not a chance. Mormons have enough kids. I'm not going Catholic.
Um, do you control your girlfriend's religious choices?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

OBVIOUSLY NOT, BECAUSE HE DOESN'T PLAN ON PRESIDING OVER HER. SHEESH PORTIA. INSENSITIVE.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I have to admit that it did cross my mind, but whatever my other faults I do personally find a lot of truth in the LDS faith and don't think I could whole-heartedly switch. "The have prettier buildings" just isn't a very sustaining reason to change religions. : )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:That's a good one! I'm really hoping that those rumors about trying out a 2-hour block are true.

I know people who think the LDS Church is wrong because we spend too much money making our meetinghouses beautiful. You can't please everyone.
Portia

Post by Portia »

vorpal blade wrote:

I know people who think the LDS Church is wrong because we spend too much money making our meetinghouses beautiful. You can't please everyone.
Meetinghouses or temples?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Ditto. Temples, I can see that. Meetinghouses not so much.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Portia wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:

Meetinghouses or temples?
Meetinghouses.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

They crazy.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Oh, and TRUNK-OR-TREAT!!! Hate this very much.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

so, is trunk-or-treat meant to replace regular trick-or-treating? Is that why some of my friends in houses in neighborhoods with plenty of children didn't get very many trick-or-treaters?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Theoretically I think it's meant to replace. To give the kids a safer trick or treating option. But in my experience, they end up being done on another night and really just give the kids two trick or treating options. Most kids, around here anyway, do both.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

I dislike ward activities that are entirely focused on kids. I'm not talking Primary activities; I mean ones that are ostensibly for the whole ward, like our ward's recent Halloween party. Last year, when we were in a married student ward, the ward Halloween party was pretty fun, and there were things for both kids and adults (though, since no kids were over 3, more for adults). But this year, in a family ward, there was nothing at all for adults, so we didn't even bother going. I get that the majority of people in the ward probably have kids at home (though, there's a not-insignificant contingent of older folks along with the recently-married folks), but it's still lame to not include the ones without kids...
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

LJ, good thing you don't have to go to Relief Society. ;)

I love the trunk or treat! But that's because I honestly love passing out candy. We got a lot the same kids from the trunk or treat at our house again on Halloween, but I was fine with it. (totally not a deal breaker) Maybe it helps that I'm in the Primary so I know/recognize a lot of them.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've only ever seen it as a replacement for trick-or-treating on Halloween and that's what I don't like about it. If people still do trick-or-treatingIn my hometown, which has 1200 people in it and everyone literally knows everyone so it's pretty safe to go door to door, the Mormons do trunk-or-treat, the evangelicals and Mennonites stay home and pray for everyone's souls, and other groups do their own little things (or go to the Mormon trunk-or-treat), and all the old folks who just want to see cute kids in costumes come to the door all night long and give them candy (ie people like my parents) don't get to have any fun. The town pre-school group started having its own version of trunk-or-treat, only indoors, so literally no one was going trick-or-treating for years. That got cancelled this year, and my parents had 70 kids come and they were so happy!!

My dad was always so sad when no kids came. My dad is like the nicest person in the world and he looks like Santa and he loves babies. I don't like it when he's sad!
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:They crazy.
So, I asked my brother if he had anything to say in defense for being called crazy. Here is part of what he wrote:
If you want a short zinger to quote me on, though, you could say something like this:
"I have a crazy brother who also loves the Catholic cathedrals but he notes that mention was made of the church at St. Francis and he reminds everyone that St. Francis himself was willing to live in absolute abject poverty and yet Francis felt his first call to literally build a church building when he went into his ministry. So, what would the real St. Francis of today want? An elaborate church or just a good functioning one, knowing that it is the people inside and not the building that will determine the worship?"
Portia

Post by Portia »

vorpal blade wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:They crazy.
So, I asked my brother if he had anything to say in defense for being called crazy. Here is part of what he wrote:
If you want a short zinger to quote me on, though, you could say something like this:
"I have a crazy brother who also loves the Catholic cathedrals but he notes that mention was made of the church at St. Francis and he reminds everyone that St. Francis himself was willing to live in absolute abject poverty and yet Francis felt his first call to literally build a church building when he went into his ministry. So, what would the real St. Francis of today want? An elaborate church or just a good functioning one, knowing that it is the people inside and not the building that will determine the worship?"
This attitude is, in large part, why the current pope chose the nom de pope of Francis.