Duelling/Fencing Culture

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
wryness

Duelling/Fencing Culture

Post by wryness »

I teach high school. I'm going to have my seniors read/perform Cyrano de Bergerac, and I'm excited! I want to prep them for the novel (and get them) excited) by explaining the duellist/fencing culture of honor that permeates that novel and time period. Many students might not quite understand why people just go around killing each other for the sake of honor. I want them to feel excited about the cavalier-ness of it all.

That having been said, does anyone here happen to know about the duellist culture of honor? I don't really know that much, and at the present time I don't feel capable of explaining it to the students very well in a way that will get them jazzed for this novel. If you know of resources to help set up the background, such as articles or (preferably) videos on dueling culture, please share. I also think it would be really neat to have someone come to my class as a guest speaker if they happen to fence or something like that, so if you have any connections in the Salt Lake area, please hook me up.

(We will watch the Gerard Depardieu movie, of course--probably before even reading the play.)
Whistler

Re: Duelling/Fencing Culture

Post by Whistler »

maybe you could compare it to rap battles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_rap
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Most of what I've heard about it comes from novels like "The Three Musketeers" and movies like "Scaramouche."
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

wryness

Post by wryness »

Ooh, I like Whistler's idea of comparing it to rap battles. One of my coworkers said that a huge percentage of her students apparently think they are going to become rap artists, so they will definitely identify with that concept.

Good point to compare it to other period-y-type novels, vorpal. Most of my students should know something about The Three Musketeers. And thanks for the book recommendations, Yarjka!

I had this idea of allowing students to challenge each other to "duels" any time they disagree with a classmate's answer--I have a couple of giant fly swatters from the dollar store--but so far most people I've mentioned this to think that allowing high schoolers to hit or poke at each other with anything is not a good idea. After some reflection, I am inclined to agree... :(
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

wryness wrote:I had this idea of allowing students to challenge each other to "duels" any time they disagree with a classmate's answer--I have a couple of giant fly swatters from the dollar store--but so far most people I've mentioned this to think that allowing high schoolers to hit or poke at each other with anything is not a good idea. After some reflection, I am inclined to agree... :(
What about throwing marshmallows? (And the loser has to clean up.) Or something equally harmless.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Dragon Lady wrote:What about throwing marshmallows?
Two thoughts in relation to this:
1) Marshmallow guns. (Although that may not be allowed in school. So... marshmallow blowguns?)
2) We had a GIANT YSA conference for all the YSA's in the Phoenix metro area last weekend. It was very excellent. Alex Boye was there, and he said "Yeah. Me and the other two black guys in the Tabernacle Choir refer to ourselves as the pieces of licorice in a field of marshmallows."

He also made Mitt Romney dance Gangnam Style with him. It was rather amusing.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

wryness wrote:I had this idea of allowing students to challenge each other to "duels" any time they disagree with a classmate's answer--I have a couple of giant fly swatters from the dollar store--but so far most people I've mentioned this to think that allowing high schoolers to hit or poke at each other with anything is not a good idea. After some reflection, I am inclined to agree... :(
Umm...probably yes...I could see that turning out badly...

Maybe a battle of wits?
a rap battle?
a rock/paper/scissors battle?
a rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock battle?
a squirt bottle duel?
a paper airplane contest? (everyone would make one at the beginning of the unit, and when they disagreed they would fly their airplanes to see whose went further)
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Indefinite Integral

Indefinite Integral wrote:
Umm...probably yes...I could see that turning out badly...

Maybe a battle of wits?
a rap battle?
a rock/paper/scissors battle?
a rock/paper/scissors/lizard/spock battle?
a squirt bottle duel?
a paper airplane contest? (everyone would make one at the beginning of the unit, and when they disagreed they would fly their airplanes to see whose went further)
or if you have a mini-basketball hoop, a basket shooting contest?
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I think it's a fun idea, but I say limit it to a period or two. I know my kids would use it as an excuse to sidetrack the lesson.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

(And do rock paper scissors or something non-touchy.)
Indefinite Integral

UffishThought wrote:I think it's a fun idea, but I say limit it to a period or two. I know my kids would use it as an excuse to sidetrack the lesson.
This is true, maybe you could require them to defend their position in addition to dueling and those who do not have legitimate defenses will be banned from future duels (legitimacy determined by you, of course)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Alex Boye made Mitt Romney dance Gangnam Style with him. It was rather amusing.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Also, it's Cyrano. POETRY SLAM.
Giovanni Schwartz

Portia wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Alex Boye made Mitt Romney dance Gangnam Style with him. It was rather amusing.
There's a video on facebook. But it's not mine, so I don't really have a way to share it.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Portia wrote:
There's a video on facebook. But it's not mine, so I don't really have a way to share it.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... g-gif.html

Plus a bonus gif!
Giovanni Schwartz

*slow clap*