bismark
Old Man

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by bismark »

series 3 of sherlock sucked.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I've only watched the first episode of series three (they come out streaming on PBS.org a week after airing), but I didn't think it was as good as most of the earlier episodes.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

it was definitely more drama-focused than mystery-focused. I've heard good things about the series Elementary though.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Sherlock turned in to an emo kid who "solves" cases by being lucky.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I saw an interesting program on the History Channel last night hosted by Henry Rollins about things you may not know about American history. I learned that George Washington ran a whiskey distillery after he was done being president and that Thomas Jefferson was really bad at personal finances.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:I saw an interesting program on the History Channel last night hosted by Henry Rollins about things you may not know about American history. I learned that George Washington ran a whiskey distillery after he was done being president and that Thomas Jefferson was really bad at personal finances.
I knew the latter point. He spent as extravagantly on wine and new books as, um, me.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I hope you don't die in as much debt as he did. Also, it looks like you were exactly right regarding his wine, Portia. Item #3 at that link goes to the article all about his wine.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:I hope you don't die in as much debt as he did. Also, it looks like you were exactly right regarding his wine, Portia. Item #3 at that link goes to the article all about his wine.
Any wine I buy I put on the debit card. The only debt I'd ever take on is educational. I have been vocal in my opposition to mortgages, and perhaps fortunately, promissory notes aren't as easy to get these days.

Damn, am I going to be legally responsible for my father's medical debts, or is that his new wife's problem? O_O
Violet

Post by Violet »

Wife should be on the hook barring any reasons she disappears from his life.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Right now on NBC is hockey live, NY Rangers vs NJ Devils in Yankee stadium. Never saw Yankee stadium configured for hockey before. The main rink is out in the middle of the field. With the big plexiglass walls and all the space between the rink and the beginning of the outfield walls, I bet the people low in the seats right at the outfield walls and behind home plate can hardly see anything. Higher seats in the nosebleed area can probably see more.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

This is an older (but I'm assuming still accurate) post about how many children the First Presidency & Quorum of the Twelve have. (spoiler alert, the mode is 3)

And some more recent follow up posts, number of children for the First Presidency & Twelve over time, and number of children for the General Relief Society Presidency over time. Interesting stuff.
Amity

Post by Amity »

I finished American Gods. Is there anyone who's read it who can help me talk about my feelings?
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I've read it. What feelings do you have?
Amity

Post by Amity »

It was my first time reading anything by Neil Gaiman, so some of my hesitation comes from not being used to his writing style. For most of the book I felt like I didn't know enough about what was going on to fully appreciate it. But overall it was great, and the conclusion was just perfect (and emotionally wrecking). And the way Gaiman uses language is just beautiful.
Digit

Post by Digit »

bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

American Hustle was quite good.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I read the some of the Blogess Blog with my boyfriend tonight and laughed and laughed, and then we looked at the bad taxidermy website for a while and laughed some more. The barrel cat partway down this page is my favorite. http://www.badtaxidermy.com/?page=4 My cheeks and sides might hurt tomorrow from laughing so hard. (The lateness of the hour might have something to do with the hilarity, too.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

ahhhh I can't look away this bad taxidermy is so awful
Portia

Post by Portia »

Finished my first book of the year, which is late for me. The Trip to Echo Springs by Olivia Laing. There was too much memoir and not enough drunk Scott Fitzgerald.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Who's Writing Linux? Volunteers are the largest single group, but they're not the majority overall. It's mostly companies.