Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Marduk »

Whistler wrote:oh, weird. Hysteric pregnancy is really weird too. Speaking of infanticide, sometimes Inuit women would leave a baby they couldn't care for to die. It kind of makes sense but it's also brutal and sad.
Actually, this is common in MANY early cultures, and still persists in many indigenous cultures. And for most of them, it wasn't just one they couldn't care for, it was one that was "defective" in any way: missing or misshapen limbs, ambiguous genitalia, down syndrome, etc.

The one that comes to mind most easily right now is the ancient Greeks (and it wasn't just Sparta.) Mostly because recently while talking about theater, my professor said something along the lines of "yeah, they gave us theater and democracy but also infanticide, so I guess you take the good with the bad."
Deus ab veritas
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Got some antibiotics, took the day off, and got some Sanderson novels. Let's hope it convinces these dang canker sores to get out of here fast.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I hope so too Uffish!

I decided to try organic milk this week and it turns out all our organic milk options are ultra-pasteurized. I'm thinking this won't be a permanent change... but at least I can say I tried it.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ooooh! Which Sanderson novels did you get?
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Emperor's Soul and Elantris. I've only read the Mistborn series and Rithmatist, but I liked both
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ooooh. Both good ones. Read Elantris first. Because Emperor's Soul is set in the Elantris world. It won't spoil anything if you read Emperor's Soul first. But it is kind of fun to get hints of the Elantrian world in Emperor's Soul. (It's slight. Don't expect huge overlap. I probably wouldn't have had a clue had I not previously known.

Also read Elantris first because I think it's one of the best Sanderson novels to start with. I... should really read that one again. Maybe I will. Except... my sis in law still has it. I really should get that back from her...
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

It's too late, I'm already halfway through Emperor's Soul. Oops!
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

So, I read a book earlier this month where the name of one of the main characters was Damian, and for some reason that name really bothered me, like I had a bad impression of it. I couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered this and this.

ETA:Grammatical clarity
Last edited by Indefinite Integral on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

@Uffish, no worries. Like I said, it's not a big deal. You don't even see her brand of magic in Elantris. Well... hint. Magic is broken in Elantris. So... of course you don't see her brand of magic. Hope that wasn't a spoiler. You figure it out in like, one page.

@Indefinite... that's my brother's name. It probably fits. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Completely forgot about the existence of Valentine's Day. <facepalm> I'm glad I get the Monday off for Presidents' Day, so I can take an impromptu vacation.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

My kids have been sick this week and my oldest has taken to drawing me pictures. Today he drew Samuel the Lamanite, but this time Samuel had the bow and he was fighting back. There was something by Samuel's face and my son said "that's a disco ball, to show you he won."
I think we're getting a little stir crazy.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

There are antibiotics for canker sores? I get flare ups every month or so where I will have 3-4 at a time. Never gotten a good explanation from a doctor or dentist (I've been told tomatoes, walnuts, gluten, etc, etc);
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I've always got a couple. Yay, genetics! But every 6 months or so they grow and spread and turn every soft-tissue surface in my mouth into an open wound. Last time my doctor prescribed me something informally called "magic mouthwash," which has a lot of stuff, antibiotics among them. It seemed to help, which was amazing, because normally I just have to wait it out, and that takes about 2 months for it to migrate around every surface of my mouth.

Anyway, yes, they still don't really understand why, but sometimes this helps. Then again, one of my doctors said mine was the worst case of recurrent apthous stomatitus (really bad canker sores that flare up once in a while) he's ever seen.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

personally, if I eat too much lemon curd or sour stuff I will get a canker sore, which baffles me. Recently I think I got one from eating too much vinegary salad dressing.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Toothpaste with SLS can irritate your mouth, too. (That's almost all toothpaste.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hmm maybe I should switch to specialty toothpaste
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I learned in like, 8th grade, that putting alum on a canker sore will make it go away. I have no idea how much truth there is to this, but it wouldn't hurt to try. (Actually, it does hurt. It stings like crazy. But you know what I mean.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Seattle's having a good night. I had to laugh at the slow motion of Manning's face when the very first snap went by his head in that safety within the first few seconds of the game.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I tried alum. Hurts like crazy is right. And no appreciable difference.