Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Indefinite Integral

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Indefinite Integral »

UffishThought wrote:Oh, also, please enjoy this excerpt from the sub manual.

"Controversial issues are not intended to be part of the regular school curriculum. Controversial issues include religion, race, politics and gender. DO NOT DISCUSS. "

Uh, pretty sure with those three books, I cover all the controversial issues it mentions. And then some. Hopefully no one gets offended and complains about me to the school, because there's no way I can cover those books WITHOUT discussing their controversial issues. It's like the Garden of Eden all up in here! Would you rather I multiply and reproduce, or would you rather I not eat the fruit? Because I can't do both at the same time.
Umm...I'm pretty sure the law says that when it comes to religion, at least, you cannot advocate a specific religion but you SHOULD discuss religion as it applies to your content NOT avoid it. How can you teach kids properly without letting them think?
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

The law doesn't explicitly require avoiding discussing it, but individual school/district curricula may.
Deus ab veritas
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Indefinite Integral wrote: How can you teach kids properly without letting them think?
And herein lies the rub in humanities education. We fear indoctrination of a particular mindset, so we try and sanitize our pedagogies to avoid possibly upsetting or controversial material, and in so doing neuter the context that makes the material useful in the first place. Our fear of educational indoctrination causes us to remove one of the few tools we have to counter it.
Deus ab veritas
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Marduk wrote:
Indefinite Integral wrote: How can you teach kids properly without letting them think?
And herein lies the rub in humanities education. We fear indoctrination of a particular mindset, so we try and sanitize our pedagogies to avoid possibly upsetting or controversial material, and in so doing neuter the context that makes the material useful in the first place. Our fear of educational indoctrination causes us to remove one of the few tools we have to counter it.
Yeah, way too true. The charter school I started out at had no problems discussing controversial/thought provoking topics. It is one of the things I thought they did well. My current school actually has a world religions class that is very successful, so not ALL schools are avoiding talking about religion (though it took the teacher years and multiple principals to get it approved).
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

http://notalwaysromantic.com/not-the-fo ... type/29564

HOW MUCH DO YOU BET THAT THIS IS AN RM AT TUCANO'S?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

So...anyone want to play Encore again?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

If any of you are on Goodreads and want a chance to win a copy of my mom's book, send me a PM and I'll get you a link.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The most Portia-ish sentence ever follows:

My brother just snuck up behind me as I was checking out at Brooks Brothers. No idea he was here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:So...anyone want to play Encore again?
I wouldn't mind it.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Instagram suggests you contact a user before submitting a copyright infringement claim. There is no way to privately contact a user. Does anyone else see a problem with this??
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

AAAAAAAAAAAAH MOVING! *explodes*

That is all.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Portia

Post by Portia »

So I'm going to try a water-only regime and see if that helps me be healthier. I don't think I eat too poorly, but looking at this page, which pretty closely matches about what and how often I drink, I was pretty surprised that that can add up to 800 calories. I probably consume about 2000 calories altogether, given my height and weight, so that's a pretty significant decrease with no other change in food or activity.

It's also nice because it's pretty easy to implement and remember. I've read that caffeine and sugar also cause your cortisol levels to spike, which can lead to stress, poor sleep, and ... wait for it ... an expanding waistline. Duhn duhn.

And to anyone saying that most these drinks are against either the letter or the spirit of the "Word of Wisdom ..." I won't deny that. Run and not be weary blah blah. :P

Has anyone else done this? Did you feel better after?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:So I'm going to try a water-only regime and see if that helps me be healthier. I don't think I eat too poorly, but looking at this page, which pretty closely matches about what and how often I drink, I was pretty surprised that that can add up to 800 calories. I probably consume about 2000 calories altogether, given my height and weight, so that's a pretty significant decrease with no other change in food or activity.

It's also nice because it's pretty easy to implement and remember. I've read that caffeine and sugar also cause your cortisol levels to spike, which can lead to stress, poor sleep, and ... wait for it ... an expanding waistline. Duhn duhn.

And to anyone saying that most these drinks are against either the letter or the spirit of the "Word of Wisdom ..." I won't deny that. Run and not be weary blah blah. :P

Has anyone else done this? Did you feel better after?
Did this last year for Lent. After a week of withdrawal and horrible nightmares I did notice a positive difference. I drink some soda now, but I notice the effects on my sleep when I do, even if I had it early in the day. I'm pretty much giving it up again once Spring Break is over.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I went off processed sugar (everything except fruit) for about a month one time, and it felt great. I managed to give up coffee for a few months last year and that sucked. But I don't drink a lot of sodas and I generally drink my coffee black, so I don't get too many calories from what I drink.
wryness

Post by wryness »

One of my students tried to look up information online for a worksheet about Cyrano de Bergerac and accidentally referenced a Japanese video game where "Deinos sacrifices himself to give Cyrano Darkblood to let him get revenge," or something like that. That kind of made my day. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

lol
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

wryness wrote:One of my students tried to look up information online for a worksheet about Cyrano de Bergerac and accidentally referenced a Japanese video game where "Deinos sacrifices himself to give Cyrano Darkblood to let him get revenge," or something like that. That kind of made my day. :)
:shock:
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

We filled out brackets for our family night activity tonight. My 5 year old has BYU beating Villanova for the championship, by a score of 9-8. Based on absolutely nothing, I have Creighton winning it all.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Congrats, Smurf Blue, on your NZ trip! I'm currently trying to scrounge up the money for a trip to a writers' conference at [Ivy League School] with a side trip to NYC (first time ever!) thrown in. And don't let anyone tell you that a woman can't travel alone safely. I just went to Tahoe and had a lovely time. Use common sense and research the areas you'll be visiting. Seeing any LoTR film sites?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Random great idea I had: I'm going to buy (tempera, probably) paints and a bunch of poster board. I'm going to invite all my friends over, and we're going to have a Bob Ross painting competition to see who can paint the best, by following along with what Mr. Ross says to do. No pausing or rewinding.

You are all free to do this with others. You're also invited to my house when I do it.