Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Whistler

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Whistler »

I think it's good to be realistic about dreams. I occasionally go to comic con things where there are famous author Q&As. Inevitably someone will say "how do you start writing?" The answer is usually something like "how do you not write stories? If this isn't some weird compulsion you have you are better off avoiding this career altogether." I remember hearing a similar sentiment at flute camp from a professional flutist, who said that if there was something else you could make a living off of, to do that, since professional musician jobs are so ridiculously competitive. So whenever I hear people who have a dream of becoming an artist of some sort (be it an author or professional musician or indie game dev), I acknowledge that it sounds glamorous and I'm usually skeptical of their motivation unless they have a lot of work they've already done to show they're serious about that dream.

I think we emphasize too much an "artistic temperament" and forget that artistic skills are things that one can learn. So if you want to support him in this dream, be realistic. Know that it might take him until he's written ten novels to become an author that someone might want to publish. I think if my husband had this dream, I'd tell him to try to write a little each day, like a short story every week, in his spare time. Maybe you can have writing and brainstorming parties with him. If he wants to get a Master's degree, that's cool too, but plenty of awesome writers don't have a degree in creative writing (and honestly most MFA writing programs consider SF/Fantasy "genre" fiction). It's the consistent practice and good feedback that help writers to become good at what they do.

</writing dream rant>
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:I think it's good to be realistic about dreams. I occasionally go to comic con things where there are famous author Q&As. Inevitably someone will say "how do you start writing?" The answer is usually something like "how do you not write stories? If this isn't some weird compulsion you have you are better off avoiding this career altogether." I remember hearing a similar sentiment at flute camp from a professional flutist, who said that if there was something else you could make a living off of, to do that, since professional musician jobs are so ridiculously competitive. So whenever I hear people who have a dream of becoming an artist of some sort (be it an author or professional musician or indie game dev), I acknowledge that it sounds glamorous and I'm usually skeptical of their motivation unless they have a lot of work they've already done to show they're serious about that dream.

I think we emphasize too much an "artistic temperament" and forget that artistic skills are things that one can learn. So if you want to support him in this dream, be realistic. Know that it might take him until he's written ten novels to become an author that someone might want to publish. I think if my husband had this dream, I'd tell him to try to write a little each day, like a short story every week, in his spare time. Maybe you can have writing and brainstorming parties with him. If he wants to get a Master's degree, that's cool too, but plenty of awesome writers don't have a degree in creative writing (and honestly most MFA writing programs consider SF/Fantasy "genre" fiction). It's the consistent practice and good feedback that help writers to become good at what they do.

</writing dream rant>
Yeah, I'm with you 100% (both for him and for myself). I feel similarly about 99% of MFAs -- this masters program would be more centered on informatics, so what his day job is about.

I myself vacillate constantly between wanting to go back to teaching and move up in my current profession, so it could be wanting to sort of impose order on someone else when I don't feel as in control as I want to.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77324/

!

This is not at all where I expected the poll in that other forum to go and I love it! (Thus far, I have scored an Optimstic. and a Canth.)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77324/

!

This is not at all where I expected the poll in that other forum to go and I love it! (Thus far, I have scored an Optimstic. and a Canth.)
None of us have gotten higher than a Canth, so let us know if you do!
Violet

Post by Violet »

I got an Anne! And a Katya! Basically, I spent too much time in airports playing 2048 last week and thus it has lost most of its appeal. Still haven't beaten the doge version though.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Violet wrote:I got an Anne! And a Katya! Basically, I spent too much time in airports playing 2048 last week and thus it has lost most of its appeal. Still haven't beaten the doge version though.
Totally called an Anne being above a Canth.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I got a Katya!
Portia

Post by Portia »

A thing at our mocktail party back in '08 was including ginger in the drinks to give a puckery, chalky mouthfeel.

Which is puzzling that the writer's name is The Soulful Ginger, hmmmmmmm ...
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Fact: I kind of hate the term "ginger" and I keep hoping it will die and people will call me a redhead again.

So long story short, it's not me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm getting Banh Mi tonight. Pretty excited.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:Fact: I kind of hate the term "ginger" and I keep hoping it will die and people will call me a redhead again.

When did you first notice the rise of the gingers? (I feel like the term wasn't at all common in the US as recently as 5 or 10 years ago.)

Also, I happened to be playing around in the Oxford Historical Thesaurus the other day and I found a bunch of historical synonyms for "redhead" including "rouse," "amber-crowned," or "sandy-haired." So you're also welcome to any of those, if you want them. :)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Katya wrote:
UffishThought wrote:Fact: I kind of hate the term "ginger" and I keep hoping it will die and people will call me a redhead again.

When did you first notice the rise of the gingers? (I feel like the term wasn't at all common in the US as recently as 5 or 10 years ago.)

Also, I happened to be playing around in the Oxford Historical Thesaurus the other day and I found a bunch of historical synonyms for "redhead" including "rouse," "amber-crowned," or "sandy-haired." So you're also welcome to any of those, if you want them. :)
I noticed it in conjunction with all the jokes and memes about kick a ginger day and how gingers don't have souls, and freckles are the evidence of all the souls we steal, which seemed like it peaked 2 or 3 years ago. Before that it was the weird British way to say redhead, and almost no one knew it, but now it's the hip British way to say redhead, and who would actually say redhead? So many syllables! So stodgy!

And now I'll be hypocritical and say that most of your old terms have to many syllables. But I like rouse!
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Katya wrote:I happened to be playing around in the Oxford Historical Thesaurus the other day
NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I thought it became popular after some South Park episode about gingers. Also, I don't like the term either. :/
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:
Katya wrote:I happened to be playing around in the Oxford Historical Thesaurus the other day
NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDD.
Because we're all so surprised that I've been doing something nerdy. ;)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Katya wrote:I got a Katya!
I got an Anne!

I also got a Hakealaman Halls, which I think is the 1024.
Amity

Post by Amity »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77400/

Fantastic answer from MSJ about dealing with mental health issues in a serious relationship.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think it is really funny that the answer to this question includes a link to this question, and both questions were asked by the same person. :P
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think it is really funny that the answer to this question includes a link to this question, and both questions were asked by the same person. :P
I think this woman should join a branch of the Humane Society if this Middle Eastern country has one, or work to found one.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think she really shouldn't work for an animal shelter. I have a friend who felt very compassionate for animals who worked at an animal shelter and she has all these stories of trying to save animals before they were put down (usually spending most of the money she earned in the process).