Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Whistler »

there's a videogame I enjoyed that explores a similar idea http://www.deirdrakiai.com/my-games/life-flashes-by/
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

20 Feet from Stardom
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Women of the Old Testament by Camille Fronk Olson, my favorite religion teacher. I'd never heard some of the stories or perspectives mentioned, so it was a fascinating read
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I recently got Ghost Trick for my iPhone, and I loved everything about it, but now I've got Inspector Cabanela's theme stuck in my head all the time...though this might be caused by my returning to listen to it frequently. It's just so...catchy!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I played that on my DS! It was fun.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Just watched the Korean movie The Recipe. Not what I expected. I thought it would be a cooking show, but instead it was a serene detective ghost story. Odd, but I liked it.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Does someone want to go see The Fault In Our Stars and report back? I detested that book, but I really, really like the screenwriting team. I'm torn.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

UffishThought wrote:Just watched the Korean movie The Recipe. Not what I expected. I thought it would be a cooking show, but instead it was a serene detective ghost story. Odd, but I liked it.
What a coincidence. A few weeks ago I finished watching a Korean detective ghost story, "Arang and the Magistrate."
Digit

Post by Digit »

It's funny that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of the great deductive thinker Sherlock Holmes, was himself tricked by Harry Houdini's skills as an illusionist, to the point that even Houdini himself couldn't convince Doyle it wasn't real.
Wikipedia wrote:Doyle was friends for a time with Harry Houdini, the American magician who himself became a prominent opponent of the Spiritualist movement in the 1920s following the death of his beloved mother. Although Houdini insisted that Spiritualist mediums employed trickery (and consistently exposed them as frauds), Doyle became convinced that Houdini himself possessed supernatural powers—a view expressed in Doyle's The Edge of the Unknown. Houdini was apparently unable to convince Doyle that his feats were simply illusions, leading to a bitter public falling out between the two.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Finally reading The Feminine Mystique. Wow.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Tangentially related to books: Most frequently unfinished books on Goodreads.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Ha. I've read all of the contemporary ones except 50 Shades of Grey. I also abandoned Heller's Catch-22...I could see why it was such a good book, but it was the kind of good book that I hate, so I quit. Other than that and Moby Dick, I've read all the classic ones.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:Ha. I've read all of the contemporary ones except 50 Shades of Grey. I also abandoned Heller's Catch-22...I could see why it was such a good book, but it was the kind of good book that I hate, so I quit. Other than that and Moby Dick, I've read all the classic ones.
Wow, that's impressive. I have read exactly zero of those books.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I've read Wicked and The Casual Vacancy; I've abandoned LotR and Catch-22 (both only about one chapter in, so who knows, maybe I'll try again someday).
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:I've abandoned LotR and Catch-22 (both only about one chapter in, so who knows, maybe I'll try again someday).
Ha, me too.
Portia

Post by Portia »

In a throwback to my collegiate days, both Jimmy Eat World and Panic! at the Disco are coming to SLC this Friday. Although I have never tried smoking, I really like the metaphors used in this song, Nicotine. (Language warning.)
Violet

Post by Violet »

Hehehe, collegiate days. It makes me feel so young. Jimmy Eat World was the first CD I bought myself. Panic! at the Disco was a junior high thing for me initially. Still like them both though, so I can't act hipster superior.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Violet wrote:Hehehe, collegiate days. It makes me feel so young. Jimmy Eat World was the first CD I bought myself. Panic! at the Disco was a junior high thing for me initially. Still like them both though, so I can't act hipster superior.
Long live the middlebrow. I like Barnes & Noble, pop punk, and Chick-Fil-A, and I am not ashamed.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Humble sci-fi ebook bundle. I just bought it. The only other Humble bundle I've bought is the one that had the Sims 3 (and, yes, I only bought it for the Sims 3). I'm only interested in less than half of these books, but for 12$ (it is pay what you want), it is worth it.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Wait, why wouldn't you pay 1 cent?