Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Amity

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Amity »

I've attended a couple of ASL endowment sessions, and they follow the same practice for that ordinance. It was pretty cool to watch.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

Thanks! It was fun to write.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:wow, I had no idea ASMR was a thing. I don't think I've ever experienced it before though.

Portia, what is the bloody mary sensation?
Read more here. When you stare at a mirror in dim lighting, especially if you're tired, your sense of self gets very bizarre.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, I can't look at myself in a mirror in the dark because of this... but I just assumed it was one of my fears I haven't yet conquered.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/77843/
Owlet wrote: I don't currently have any serious illness, I have a great job, I'm not doing anything with my life that makes me feel icky inside, and I'm not giving up on a good future.
I like this life summary. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/healt ... m-her.html

Post-partum and during-pregnancy depression/OCD/psychosis is very much A Thing.
Portia

Post by Portia »

If I dwelt on the likelihood of injury or death every time I though about driving somewhere, I'd never get in a car.
You have pretty much nailed down the causal factor of why I never learned to drive.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

My sister actually creates ASMR videos for YouTube. She loves it. My dad was really confused and made her feel a bit embarrassed about it until that episode, and then he got all excited for her.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

last Saturday, my brother and I had the literal best time browsing through McNaughton's paintings.
Last edited by Portia on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Portia, can we put a link to that picture instead of embedding it? I think some people might not want to see that.
Deus ab veritas
Amity

Post by Amity »

I appreciated Divya's answer about the one-date policy. My thinking on the subject has undergone a similar evolution. In addition to Divya's reasons, I think it kinda feeds into really harmful cultural norms that women's romantic desires are somehow inferior to men's.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

^Yeah, I liked that a lot too.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

And I really liked what yayfulness said here http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78165/ about how you can't be happy about someone being excommunicated and have a Christlike attitude. I think even if someone is excommunicated for something that most people would agree you should be excommunicated for (abuse, for example), being happy is kind of a weird response, since the entire situation is still pretty awful.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Amity wrote:I appreciated Divya's answer about the one-date policy. My thinking on the subject has undergone a similar evolution. In addition to Divya's reasons, I think it kinda feeds into really harmful cultural norms that women's romantic desires are somehow inferior to men's.
In my writing, I think I end up exploring this idea a lot. Women really are "agents unto themselves," but it is so rare to see that portrayed in fiction, film, or essays. I feel like almost anything by a female artist is put into a "chick lit" ghetto.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Soulful Ginger's answer about Antarctica. I really liked it. :D Can you imagine being one of those 11 people to have been born in Antarctica? That would be amazing.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Soulful Ginger's answer about Antarctica. I really liked it. :D Can you imagine being one of those 11 people to have been born in Antarctica? That would be amazing.
Yeah, I "pinned" the map, because I thought it was that cool.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, that was really interesting. Although the idea of giving birth in Antarctica is kind of scary to me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Maven is a terrible, unrighteous person. Obvs. /portia out
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78409/

Maven on disguising muffin-tops. I'm not a mom, obviously, but the weight I've gained in the last few years has largely been in the midsection and a lot of my old clothes are NOT flattering, even if I can still technically wear them.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/78433/

It's interesting to read about a time period when female modesty was more about covering the legs than covering the chest (as it still is, in some cultures). One wonders if public breastfeeding being commonplace could be a relevant factor.

However, at least during the Regency, low necklines were pretty much limited to formal occasions (such as balls), while day clothing had a much higher neckline. Well-researched period dramas do a good job of putting the women mostly in high-neckline clothing, with the exception of formal occasions. So if a period drama has the women wearing low-cut clothing all the time, it's not being as accurate as it could be.