#78396 passion

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#78396 passion

Post by Portia »

One of my favorite Mormon stories is when Henry Eyring's father, who was a brilliant chemist, was yet again trying to drill stoichiometry and such into his son's head. Eyring Sr. stepped back and was, like, wow, you really don't get this, do you? The son was all, nope! In the manner of many chemists, the father approached this logically. He said you need to find a vocation, and although I sleep eat and breathe chemistry, if it doesn't click for you, then it doesn't. What do you think about when you don't have anything else to think about? So the son became a teacher, instead.

I love this advice and I think finding what you're passionate about, is very important for everyone. Having a good sense of "self," not tied to family or social structure or peers, is an important developmental process of early adulthood. Like with dating, some people may be compatible with a wide range of vocations and some with a narrow set, but that doesn't change the fact that not all careers are for everyone.

As to choosing a major, look at the skills you're supposed to gain. I think more than job prospects, more than professors, more than men:women ratio, everyone should think about what skillset they're building through their studies.

I wonder if the luxury of "not having anything to think about" is dying in an age when you're constantly being barraged by meaningless claptrap.