#78425 loving another child

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#78425 loving another child

Post by Portia »

I thought this was an interesting question. My mom liked my brother more than she liked me. Everyone involved (including our grandmother) was very aware of this; it wasn’t even a a secret, per se.

I think this could be due to a few factors. One was that our personalities were more similar and thus clashed more. Another was that I was unplanned and unwanted and he wasn’t. I never was much of a “little mother.”

We’re really close, now. I honestly think that with our mother out of the picture, I feel less competitive with him. (Which is horrible. I recognize that.)

So it could be that you could end up loving your second child much more than your first. I think that I got more in the way of material help (specifically, I went to a fancy-pants high school and he didn’t; it was only when we were adults that I learned he resented that). On the other hand, my mom was much more controlling of his behavior in high school. Maybe since they were so close she cared more?

I think since both my parents were only children they were not the best-equipped to handle sibling relationships. I have not decided whether to have no children, one, or two, but a big advantage of one is this absence of sibling rivalry. I’m glad it all worked out between us, though.
Digit

Re: #78425 loving another child

Post by Digit »

Tough-to-deal-with moms reminds me of this one. Ctrl+F "AP Frank" and read about his Korean mom who micromanaged him and his brother, watching them sit in their rooms and do their homework, not letting them do anything other than approved extra-curriculars, riding him hard if he ever got an A-, etc...
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:Tough-to-deal-with moms reminds me of this one. Ctrl+F "AP Frank" and read about his Korean mom who micromanaged him and his brother, watching them sit in their rooms and do their homework, not letting them do anything other than approved extra-curriculars, riding him hard if he ever got an A-, etc...

Hahaha I have referred to my mother as a Caucasian Tiger Mom before.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Digit wrote:Tough-to-deal-with moms reminds me of this one. Ctrl+F "AP Frank" and read about his Korean mom who micromanaged him and his brother, watching them sit in their rooms and do their homework, not letting them do anything other than approved extra-curriculars, riding him hard if he ever got an A-, etc...
So I know this post is like a month old, but I just came across it. I read that book when I was in high school, and it helped me keep things in perspective. A lot.