unpopular opinions

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

unpopular opinions

Post by Portia »

I thought this question about unpopular opinions was an interesting one, and I enjoyed the answers.

Some perhaps-unpopular opinions I hold:
  • Disneyland is not for grown adults
  • Hot dogs are gross
  • The Notebook is not really that romantic
  • Hot Fuss has held up after a decade (unpopular among my Pitchforky friends)
  • Divorce is not always disastrous
  • The "Macklemore" is a terrible haircut on all men the end
Portia

Re: unpopular opinions

Post by Portia »

Ooh, another one -- I think that the obvious choice for a more-educated, better-paid woman is to return to the workforce to be the breadwinner as soon as feasible for her family.

More robust paid family leave would make these dilemmas less of a pain. (A year combined maternity/paternity would be reasonable; six months AT LEAST to coincide with minimum breastfeeding recommendations/let people regain their sanity.) This opinion is not so much unpopular in any other civilized or semi-civilized country.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I agree with the increased maternity/paternity leave.

I also think birth control should be free as well as basic prenatal care. If we start the population out healthy, then the population as a whole will put less strain on the medical system saving money and resources in the long run.
Last edited by Shrinky Dink on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think my most unpopular opinions (even more so than any of my fringey political ideas) are that the Beatles and Ted talks do not even come close to living up to their hype.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Marduk joins you in that, NerdGirl.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I think more people should have abortions..
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I actually rather agree with you there, Emiliana. I wrote up a whole blog post about it a while back, but the gist of it was that I'd much rather women had abortions than children they didn't want or couldn't take care of.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yeah, that's my basic thought too. Also the world's population is growing too much too fast. And at least among those I know, it's predominantly women of lower socioeconomic status and less education who are likely to have unintended pregnancies, which then hurts their chances of getting more education and better socioeconomic standing......etc.

Of course, even better than more abortions would be better access to and education about contraception and safer sex practices, as well as getting rid of the *(&$&#@! rape culture.