Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Rant of the Day

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

We have Answers we Liked. We have the random thread. Now here's a place for you to complain about whatever small thing is bothering you today without the pressure of creating a whole new thread or bringing the random thread down!

I'll start (and probably continue because I am for some reason so full of rage these days):

Your husband holding the baby for a couple of hours while you sleep is not a sign of what an AMAZING father or husband he is. It's him fulfilling one of the BASIC duties of a parent. Stop hyperventilating and posting pictures on Facebook about it.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Portia »

My kid sister tells me you can't send infants to boarding school in Switzerland until they hit the age of reason. Darn it.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

The fact that I got a 40% raise to take this job and I spend such a huge amount of time doing nothing. When I'm not doing nothing, I spend the majority of my time tutoring ONE student in high school math. Occasionally I'll have to split my attention two whole ways. I know that I will get busier as the school year goes on, but it annoys me that this is the state of things in private industry while in social work I was making way less money to work incredibly hard with 8-12 toddlers, when paperwork didn't stop me from doing that. What is up with that, society?
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

And, for the record, I am grateful for the raise, decrease in stress, etc. etc. etc. I just can't believe that my time is worth far more money this way.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

People need to not tailgate you when you're going the speed limit in a school zone. No, dudebro, I will not speed up and kill small children. If you have to be somewhere, maybe you should have left earlier.

Also, still disturbed by the amount of people texting and driving, especially people with small children in carseats in their cars. And for the record, it is illegal to text and drive where I live.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Standardized testing requirements for SPED students.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Emiliana wrote:Standardized testing requirements for SPED students.
Texas isn't doing ANY modified exams this year, which means all of the sweet, but VERY developmentally disabled kids across the hall from me, will have to take a sit down paper and pencil exam. Some of them wear diapers, but they're somehow supposed to take a standardized test and pass it or it counts against our school.

Standardized testing is just a demon. The Texas legislature tried to get rid of it, but Slick Rick Perry (the jerk) vowed a veto on any bill that didn't have at least 5 tests for kids.
beautiful, dirty, rich
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Imogen wrote: Standardized testing is just a demon. The Texas legislature tried to get rid of it, but Slick Rick Perry (the jerk) vowed a veto on any bill that didn't have at least 5 tests for kids.
I really need to go get my voter registration done. Really really.
Portia

Post by Portia »

People concern-trolling for Max Hall when people wanted to burn Brandon Davies at the stake.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Imogen wrote:
Emiliana wrote:Standardized testing requirements for SPED students.
Texas isn't doing ANY modified exams this year, which means all of the sweet, but VERY developmentally disabled kids across the hall from me, will have to take a sit down paper and pencil exam. Some of them wear diapers, but they're somehow supposed to take a standardized test and pass it or it counts against our school.

Standardized testing is just a demon. The Texas legislature tried to get rid of it, but Slick Rick Perry (the jerk) vowed a veto on any bill that didn't have at least 5 tests for kids.
Yeah... Good ole Governor Goodhair. I'm teaching a couple of English I and II classes with kids who read on a first grade level all mixed in with my on-level kids. They used to have a smaller modified class, but since there isn't a separate modified test for them anymore, they should be fine in a regular ed class, right? Because the state's testing regulations are a good indication of what's good for the kids, right? Right?!?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I am really frustrated and sick right now, and I would love for someone to give me a blessing, but I don't have anyone to give me a blessing because I haven't had home teachers in the past 10 years or so because I've been in wards where single women don't get home teachers. And the 3 Mormon guys I knew in med school have all moved away for residency. And my dad doesn't live here. And I just moved to a new ward and I don't know anyone and I can't even figure out how to get my records transferred so I'm not sure that they even know or care that I exist.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

:-(
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

You should be able to look up your new bishop's number on lds.org though. Call him up and tell him to send someone over!
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I am really sorry to hear that you are frustrated and sick, NerdGirl. I wish I were close so I could give you a blessing.

I second what Genuine Article said. Look up your bishop on lds.org and give him a call.

I'm shocked that there are wards that don't have home teachers for single women. There is no excuse for that on the part of the church leaders. Everyone who wants a home teacher should have one. There is no excuse for not visiting a single woman because it is difficult for a home teacher to find someone to go with him. There are so many ways this can be accomplished. He could go with a wife or friend, or even by himself if necessary. The bishop and Elder's Quorum President (or High Priest Group leader) needs to know the home teaching isn't happening, because it should be happening. Let the stake president know if you get no satisfaction in your ward.

You don't exactly get your records transferred these days. Each ward and branch has a copy of your records, which are kept in Salt Lake City. Your new ward or branch requests electronically a copy of your records for your ward or branch. All it takes is a request from a clerk or bishop with your full name and birthdate. A copy of your records are sent in a day or two.

Any worthy Melchizedek priesthood holder can give you a blessing. It doesn't have to be a relative, priesthood leader, or home teacher. But, you understand that.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of your problems and will pray for you. I hope you receive help soon.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I mean, the ward in which you live should have a copy of your records. When you move into a ward the clerk or bishop requests a copy of your records from Salt Lake City when they find out your name, birthdate, and new address. Or, you can contact your old ward (bishop or ward clerk or membership clerk) and request that they "move" your records to your new ward. All they need is your new address. They will destroy their copy of your records and request Salt Lake City to send a copy to the new ward where you have moved into.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Students from last school year who are STILL whining to me about their grades even though I have (a) moved to a new university and (b) have no power to change said grades because I am no longer at said university. I really want to be a jerk and just respond with this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

NerdGirl wrote:And for the record, it is illegal to text and drive where I live.
I feel like most anti-social behaviors are illegal in Canada.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Football, where "two minutes" means fifteen minutes of actual time.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Trying to do good things and having it blow up in your face. Marduk gave me a genius analogy about it being like offering food to a stubborn toddler, and I'm going with that.
wryness

Post by wryness »

Emiliana wrote:Football, where "two minutes" means fifteen minutes of actual time.
Amen a thousand times over. I cannot accurately express the level of detest I feel for those long wait times!