Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Digit

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Digit »

I've been reading in the news a theory that sounds pretty plausible. The OPEC cartel is letting oil get so cheap in order to put the shale boom in the US to an end. I wonder if anti dumping laws might apply if that were the case.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Digit wrote:I've been reading in the news a theory that sounds pretty plausible. The OPEC cartel is letting oil get so cheap in order to put the shale boom in the US to an end. I wonder if anti dumping laws might apply if that were the case.
I've heard the same thing. I don't think our present administration is going to apply any anti-dumping measures because they don't want to encourage domestic production of oil. Our government is happy to see the domestic oil industry fail, thus encouraging alternate sources of "clean" energy that President Obama is pushing.

I think to see if OPEC actually is dumping you would have to compare the price of oil in the OPEC countries with the price of oil sold to the United States. It may turn out that instead of selling oil to us now at prices below levels sold in the producing nations, what they have been doing is using the monopoly power of their cartel to artificially inflate the cost of oil in order to enrich themselves at our expense. The lower prices now might actually reflect more competitively based priced because free market principles are beginning to apply. So there may be a case against the "dumping" theory in favor of the capitalistic theory of true competition. But I don't expect our current administration to admit to any benefits of free market principles either.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:Remember how 2013 was the summer of The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham? Well I kept running into more references to his work, so I bought Of Human Bondage. It's the centenary next year, so if anyone wants to tackle a 700-page tome of late-Edwardian realism with me. :D (Also, I've decided that the answer to "what kind of person is compelled to write a Bildungsroman?" is, "MOAR CANCER. MOAR DEAD PEOPLE.")
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was in the public domain and I've read some of it. I love having a huge fat book sitting in my Kindle by an author I like.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:
Portia wrote:Remember how 2013 was the summer of The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham? Well I kept running into more references to his work, so I bought Of Human Bondage. It's the centenary next year, so if anyone wants to tackle a 700-page tome of late-Edwardian realism with me. :D (Also, I've decided that the answer to "what kind of person is compelled to write a Bildungsroman?" is, "MOAR CANCER. MOAR DEAD PEOPLE.")
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this was in the public domain and I've read some of it. I love having a huge fat book sitting in my Kindle by an author I like.
Very nice. I've gotten distracted by Sam Harris and some long-out library books in the meantime (Hamlet! Proust, and I remember how you feel about Proust, and I now believe in bibliosomnotherapy! Ibsen!). I'll return to Mr. Maugham next year.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:(I remember how you feel about Proust, and I now believe in bibliosomnotherapy!)
:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Le carnaval des animaux by Camille Saint-Saëns. The seventh movement, "The Aquarium," at 7:51 is probably the most well-known, as it's quite used in Hollywood for spooky or whimsical moods.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

"The bird" from that suite is notoriously difficult for flutists.
Digit

Post by Digit »

It sounds tough. Trying to picture the flautist sucking in a breath of air between those long quick barrages of notes. I like the Cuckoo in the Depths of the Woods.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

After seeing both Eirene and Portia praise "Where'd You Go, Bernadette," I read it. In 3 days. It was really good. 10/10 would recommend as a fun, exciting, weird, thoughtful read.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Found this group "Chic Gamine" from Winnipeg. Pretty good considering how new they are.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:After seeing both Eirene and Portia praise "Where'd You Go, Bernadette," I read it. In 3 days. It was really good. 10/10 would recommend as a fun, exciting, weird, thoughtful read.
I still remember how excited I was describing that book to my father on the phone.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Gymnopedie for piano no. 1 while stuck in traffic. It fits.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I always think of Cake's "Long Line of Cars" when I'm in traffic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wFxuuG-y0
Digit

Post by Digit »

Nice music. I had never heard of that band before.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Legend of Korra series finale. 'Twas excellent.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah! except the main villian's change of heart seemed really sudden and unbelievable
Portia

Post by Portia »

Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See." It was solid.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Food (page 4) in CA isn't taxed?
UCTS—Sales of food for human consumption are generally exempt from tax unless sold
in a heated condition (except hot bakery items or hot beverages, such as coffee, sold for a separate
price), served as meals, consumed at or on the seller’s facilities, ordinarily sold for consumption on or
near the seller’s parking facility, or sold for consumption where there is an admission charge.
That sounds like it applies to grocery stores but not restaurants. So if I went into a grocery store and bought $65.43 worth of fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese, cereal, etc. but no prepared foods, I'd just pay exactly $65.43?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think so! Certain items are taxed--I think snack food? You have the rule right there I guess.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

mic0 wrote:After seeing both Eirene and Portia praise "Where'd You Go, Bernadette," I read it. In 3 days. It was really good. 10/10 would recommend as a fun, exciting, weird, thoughtful read.
I'm halfway through and it keeps reminding me that I'm not reading a David Foster Wallace novel :-( (it's a similar style, but doesn't feel as well-researched, although maybe I'll change my mind).