The One Where The Question Asker Words Things Weirdly

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

The One Where The Question Asker Words Things Weirdly

Post by mic0 »

Questions like this one and more recently this one. This person has a really unique way of expressing their question, with lots of asides, and what feels (to me) like they know exactly what they mean and importantly they are sincere in saying it, but to a lot of people it comes across as confusing. This reminds me of the way my brother writes and talks (but it is definitely not him). For example, here is the first part of a holiday email my brother sent to my whole immediate family and sister in law:

"Hi,

Like the spanish song I want to wish u a merry kriiiiiiiimus christmas from the bottom of my heart and the top
I dont discriminate

I have compliments and accolades for you........."

Then he goes on to give compliments and accolades (and extremely passive aggressive questions/statements about different family members). Then ends with: "Peace
that is a new 1 fresh from the improv factory me do you have any songs
Thanks to god and you " Then a P.S.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is, except I find it really odd. In my family, we suspect my brother has issues expressing himself which causes him to have problems in relationships with people and that he should probably visit a psychiatrist about it because it's beyond regular social awkwardness. He also doesn't interpret things in the most standard way - he is somewhat paranoid and assumes the worst. I would guess there must be some connection between general difficulty with social situations and relationships and speaking, since this way of talking/writing is pretty off-putting. Any psychology-type people know if this has been studied?

P.S. I don't want to talk about this person in particular, because I'm not trying to be critical and obviously we don't know anything about them (their writing here may be nothing like their way of expressing themselves somewhere else). I'm just making a general observation, and as far as my brother goes it is something I've thought about before.
the anglophile

Re: The One Where The Question Asker Words Things Weirdly

Post by the anglophile »

I was about to come on here and talk about the exact same thing. I can't even follow this person's questions. And I don't know why they're attacking the writers. It's really rude, and they way they're doing it is so passive agressive.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Also, what you're talking about might be dysgraphia. My brother has it. Basically, he knows what he wants to write, but there's kind of a mental block between that and actually writing in down. He has terrible handwriting and a lot of his writing makes little to no sense. Terrible grammar and spelling, weird sentence structure, weird sentence flow... You get the idea.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

But he's that way with talking, too, at least some of the time. But that could be part of it, because he *can* be straightforward when talking, but is rarely like that in writing. Interesting, thanks for pointing that out!

I didn't even realize they were attacking the writers until I reread it! It is interesting. (Attacking still seems strong to me, but then I'm not on the answering side of questions. :P)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I think it would help if this question asker would just leave out the links to board questions and just put "BQ#12345". Their questions are pretty difficult to understand, but changing one or two things might make a positive difference on how easy it is to interpret.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

In both cases there could be a mild to moderate case of the Autism spectrum or other related disorders. That would be my initial hunch.