Weird things people say in church

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Weird things people say in church

Post by Emiliana »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/81439/

In Uganda, I once heard a sermon about how in the Old Testament, God told the Israelites to poo-poo and pee-pee outside the camp, not inside the camp. And therefore it's also very disrespectful and unclean for young men to pee-pee on the side of the road using their right hands, and then go up to people and try to shake hands with them.

Yup.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Weird things people say in church

Post by Marduk »

Just an FYI for Zed: the resurrection and salvation of animals is pretty solidly doctrine. I wouldn't call it "marginal." Look at D&C 77.
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

This was an interesting question and answers. I found myself thinking some of the things people said to be wacko, and others right in line with my current beliefs, or at least not far off. Interesting. :) Emiliana -- that is pretty funny! Sure, it *is* disrespectful and unclean to do that (get some hand sanitizer, dudes), but not sure about the logic leading up to it.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I meant marginal in the sense of how often we bring it up in church, not how true it is
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

One time at a fireside for new converts, a lady who recently got baptized got up and "bore her testimony," meaning she shared her whole life story. Including telling us in detail when she conceived her children and how it was done out of wedlock. The whole thing took 20 minutes (literally. I watched the clock) and only in the last thirty seconds or so did she talk about her conversion and testimony.