Million Dollars BQ 81934

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Shrinky Dink

Million Dollars BQ 81934

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I just wanted to do the What-would-your-siblings-do-with-a-million-dollars because it actually seemed pretty fun. https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/81934/

Sister1: Buy a nicer car, invest in retirement, travel to China, France, Germany, etc, and spend more money on her wedding.
Sister2: Buy a lot of craft supplies, quit her job, buy a car, get a house, furnish it nicely, save some of it, then slowly spend it over the next 10 or so years until it's gone.
Brother1: Possibly move into a better house, save for retirement, take his family on a nice vacation, invest
Brother2: Definitely would quit his job, and by that, I mean he would just stop showing up to work. He would buy tons of computer and tech stuff, hopefully he would buy a house or get an apartment, it would be cool if he started up a board game store with some of the more obscure stuff he has managed to find.

Parents: Pay off house, invest, buy awesome stuff for grandkids, take entire family on super awesome vacation to Disney, Europe, or Hong Kong, help local families in the area by paying a bit of their mortgage, providing christmas, etc.

Me and husband: Get a house (possibly one in Alaska), invest, buy guns, travel to Africa so my husband can shoot a lion and/or hippo, travel to all the Disney parks.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Digit

Re: Million Dollars BQ 81934

Post by Digit »

Did you know that in the US, when a gift is given, it's the giver who has to pay taxes on it to the IRS? I thought that was interesting.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Shrinky Dink

Re: Million Dollars BQ 81934

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I didn't know that. Although, I do believe that gifts under $2,000 aren't taxable, but that my be an old law or I may have a faulty memory... basically I'm not a tax attorney or an accountant.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*