NCAA brackets

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

NCAA brackets

Post by Portia »

Oh man, oh man, I hope someone re-asks this question during the reunion. One of my earliest memories is being bundled up for a football game in Wyoming on a crisp fall day. Collegiate sports? Love them.

My mom and her mom love basketball, and I carry on the tradition. I first associated March Madness with happiness during the state math contest: it was held at Weber State, and would be playing in the student union every year. (I was a Bulls fan in the nineties, deep in enemy territory.)

My grandma's Sweet Sixteen picks are entirely solid. If you use them for your own round-by-round picks, I won't be offended.
Kentucky over W Virginia
Wichita State over Notre Dame
Wisconsin over N Carolina
Arizona over Xavier
Louisville over N Carolina State
Michigan St over Oklahoma
Duke over Utah (even though I would like Utah to win)
Gonzaga over UCLA
Best game thus far? Notre Dame-Butler.
The Happy Medium

Re: NCAA brackets

Post by The Happy Medium »

I'm so happy someone else in the board community likes sports! It seems like the current writers don't care about them that much. I wanted to put my two cents in about your question. I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind the "first four in" is that it creates 4 more spots for teams that wouldn't have otherwise gotten in (like BYU). Those who have to play in the first four games do have it harder than the other 11 or 16 seeds but it's kind of like the committee is giving the worst teams (in their eyes) one last chance to prove that they're good enough to be in the field of 64.

As for my brackets, they're pretty much completely busted. I made 2 different brackets and one had Virginia in the final and the other had Villanova. I guess this year wasn't the year for "V" teams. At least both my championship picks are still in! And I agree, Notre Dame-Butler has been the most entertaining game I've seen. The last few seconds of regulation were crazy!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Well thanks! In my up-front picks, for my real bracket, I had Kentucky, Virginia, Duke, and Wisconsin in the Final Four. (So 3/4.) I don't think anyone can beat the Monstars of Kentucky.

In an auto-generated bracket based on statistical stuff, I got Utah beating Arkansas. Ha.

Which Sweet Sixteen game are you most excited for? Duke-Utah should be great.
Portia

Post by Portia »

The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

I was watching the Kentucky-Wisconsin game with my parents. They were rooting for Kentucky because of the potential historical significance. I was rooting for Wisconsin because I have them winning in one of my brackets plus I love to see the favorite go down. I had forgotten how biased my dad is toward the team he's cheering for. On the play where the Wisconsin player got slapped across the face but it wasn't called my dad was convinced that it wasn't a foul. If it'd been a BYU player that'd gotten hit he'd be screaming for the other guy's head. But that's just how my dad is..
*sigh*

But I'm happy about my bracket. Go Wisconsin!