Dishonesty in Political Discourse #82177

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

Dishonesty in Political Discourse #82177

Post by vorpal blade »

It is funny how these questions and answers go sometimes. Take for example question https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82177/ I had been concerned about the problem of dishonesty in political discourse, and how it leads to a downward spiral of political polarization. It seems to me that the root of the problem is that too many people believe that it is okay to be dishonest in a "good cause." No Dice pointed out recently the dishonesty of the media in reporting the situation of religious rights in Indiana. It seems to be okay to much of the media to distort the facts or not report important inconvenient information if that helps the "cause." Keeping people ignorant of the true facts seems to be a goal. I've been pointing out how some blogs and so-called "scientific" reports are loaded with intellectual dishonesty and justify it because they think they are "on the side of the angels." A recent CNN interview with Senator Harry Reid seemed to provide a way to start a discussion on this topic. To me it was clear that Harry Reid was lying and he believed the ends justified the means in this case. Since the event involved Harry Reid and Mitt Romney, it seemed likely that both of them would be familiar with the question, "Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow men." So how does a person who believes that the ends justify the means honestly answer that question in regard to political issues? Then it occurred to me that not everyone would agree that Harry Reid was lying, so I inserted the question "Do you believe Harry Reid knowingly lied."

Actually, my question had nothing to do with Harry Reid's temple recommend. I guess I don't know how to formulate good questions.
blpsara

Re: Dishonesty in Political Discourse #82177

Post by blpsara »

I think they jumped to speaking about a temple recommend because you used the phrase "honest in your dealings with your fellow men."

Being from Nevada, I am not a Harry Reid fan at all, and I've often wondered the same thing. It seems like in some careers there are things you do that are just part of the job, and they don't necessarily see it as a reflection of their character. Maybe?

I coach volleyball, and you'll see the same thing in sports. Good, outstanding people who are honest in every other aspect teach their players to lie about not touching the ball/whether it was in or out.

To me, that pushes the boundaries beyond where I am comfortable with my own integrity. But to them, they honestly don't see it as being dishonest. They see it as being part of the game.

I don't know if there are any similarities here, but I wonder if some people simply see it as part of the job, and not who they are.
Portia

Re: Dishonesty in Political Discourse #82177

Post by Portia »

blpsara wrote:I don't know if there are any similarities here, but I wonder if some people simply see it as part of the job, and not who they are.
Not that they asked, but this is the major reason I couldn't see myself working at a firm like Goldman. I feel like the company on my résumé should at least moderately reflect my values, and enriching the 0.1% isn't really one of them.

Since Harry Reid is in favor of the bill to raise the minimum wage, I'm a fan. No opinion on Mittens' tax return except it's obscene that I pay twice his rate. TWICE!