Waiting Lists for Ridiculously Expensive Summer Camp

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Waiting Lists for Ridiculously Expensive Summer Camp

Post by NerdGirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82365/

I just want to say that this kind of blew my mind because I had no idea this was a thing (all of it, including summer camps that cost $15K and people putting kids on waiting lists for them 13 years ahead of time). Holy crap. So I googled "really expensive summer camps," and found this, in case anyone else is similarly fascinated by this concept.

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/most-e ... rich-kids/
Rainbow_connection

Re: Waiting Lists for Ridiculously Expensive Summer Camp

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I want to stay at some of those camps! Too bad about the price (and the fact that I'm too old).
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I think I'd rather sign my kid up to work at a country club for a summer.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
mic0

Post by mic0 »

As an adult, those camps sound super fun. I couldn't afford it, but that would just be such an awesome way to spend a few months.

As a teenager, no way I would have appreciated it. Three months sulking with other teenagers, that's what it would have been for me.

Also the number one camp, Stagedoor, actually sounds beneficial for practical networking. (The others are probably beneficial for networking too, but Stagedoor is so specific!)

Thanks so much for finding this list! Pretty crazy. I think the original asker should tell the in-laws that if they want her kid to go to the camp then they should pay for it. :D
Digit

Post by Digit »

Charles Foster Kane wrote:Rosebud...
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

interesting! I went to a fancy flute camp for a week as a teenager, and maybe I've turned into a rich person because those rates don't seem terribly unreasonable (yes, $11,000 is a lot of money, but for 8 weeks that's ~$1300/week). Having your in-laws try to pressure you into it doesn't sound good though.

I bet if both parents worked, sending them off to a camp for part of the summer would be a relief. I've also read about summer camp programs meant for the whole family and those sound really fun too. :-)
NovemberEast

Post by NovemberEast »

This is weird because my in-laws are really in to some expensive camp that a few of their kids went to as well. But we don't have kids yet. And my husband was the oldest and didn't go because they didn't have the money at the time. So it hasn't come up.

What I find funny is that they think it's super elite but apparently not according to that list. I mean..it's a mere $7000 (for 3 weeks) instead of twice that. you know...NBD.

nope. no. never.