Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
M.O.D.A.Q.

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by M.O.D.A.Q. »

Imogen wrote:Texas peeps will feel me:

The STAAR nightmare has begun.
Back in my day, it was TAAS. And then after that it was TAKS.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yup....
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

M.O.D.A.Q. wrote:

Back in my day, it was TAAS. And then after that it was TAKS.
Yeah, I took TAAS most of the way through then TAKS to graduate.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Racist idiots are racist.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

One of the things I wanted to get done during spring break was my taxes (since they're due in, oh, five days). Despite being fairly depressed this morning, I managed to gently lead myself into doing it. The last piece of information I need is tax info from UVU. Which I can't access because they started work on the aspect of the site that allows access to that data yesterday and it will continue until Monday.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

aww I hate not being able to complete things :-(
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I'm opposed to the death penalty under most, if not all, circumstances. However, after learning what I've learned in my urban sociology class this semester, I'm starting to think that it would be better in the long run to just shoot all illegal drug users on sight rather than feed them into the prison system. As it is, prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenders are just extremely slow, extremely expensive intergenerational death sentences. If we're going to systematically destroy the lives and families of our poorest communities, we might as well acknowledge what we're doing, streamline it, and just kill them off outright.

Drugs are dangerous, but what we're doing right now as a country is the equivalent of imprisoning and/or shooting everybody who ever catches the flu. We're treating a health issue as a criminal issue. We've fought the war on drugs for decades, and we have lost. It is time for something to change.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Related to this thought, your fun fact for the day is that young black men and young white men use marijuana at almost identical rates. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader what the arrest, let alone imprisonment, rates are, comparatively.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

One thing I hate about BYU-I, is that I can never take The Scroll seriously. It's more of a joke and something to be mocked in my mind since it is far from professional. Recently, The Scroll wrote a piece on marijuana that was pretty much laughable. Personally, I think it should be decriminalized and the pill form of THC should be legalized for medical use. Mostly, I don't see how medical marijuana is much different from lorazepam, a fantastic anti-anxiety drug that has the bonus of helping people sleep and also acts as an anti-nausea.

Anyway, that's my rant of the day.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

And lorazepam is more likely to cause dependency than marijuana.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I really enjoy what I'm DOING with computer science for research, but the classes I'm currently taking are ridiculously boring, and the TAs are completely unhelpful, and the class is 3 hours long and I can't pay attention, and the textbook is highly unhelpful. So basically I have no idea how to actually figure out how to do the assignments.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Zedability wrote:I really enjoy what I'm DOING with computer science for research, but the classes I'm currently taking are ridiculously boring, and the TAs are completely unhelpful, and the class is 3 hours long and I can't pay attention, and the textbook is highly unhelpful. So basically I have no idea how to actually figure out how to do the assignments.
Story of every CS class I've taken so far
Portia

Post by Portia »

Tally M. wrote:
Zedability wrote:I really enjoy what I'm DOING with computer science for research, but the classes I'm currently taking are ridiculously boring, and the TAs are completely unhelpful, and the class is 3 hours long and I can't pay attention, and the textbook is highly unhelpful. So basically I have no idea how to actually figure out how to do the assignments.
Story of every CS class I've taken so far
Just wait til you work in a tech company.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Random and I have been trying to sell the remaining months of our contract so we can move into our awesome new complex faster (and get away from immature roommates). So far I've been contacted by two different people who, after getting our hopes up by inquiring about the contract on a website I have it posted on, dash them immediately by clarifying they don't want to move in until fall.

1. Way to be unclear in your first messages to me.

2. READ THE STUPID LISTING I CLEARLY STATE MORE THAN ONCE THAT THE CONTRACTS ARE ONLY THROUGH THE END OF JULY
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Summer term roommate drama has already begun. On campus housing is a pain in the butt, especially summer term when they won't let you secure your roommate. I am just trying to switch rooms IN THE SAME APARTMENT so I can be in the same room as my friend and I am just really really upset because her roommate won't switch with me because she "prayed about it and thought it wasn't right".

After one month of not texting me back.
Portia

Post by Portia »

the anglophile wrote:Summer term roommate drama has already begun. On campus housing is a pain in the butt, especially summer term when they won't let you secure your roommate. I am just trying to switch rooms IN THE SAME APARTMENT so I can be in the same room as my friend and I am just really really upset because her roommate won't switch with me because she "prayed about it and thought it wasn't right".

After one month of not texting me back.
Boo. That's ridiculous. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I was finally for real given an offer at my job (before I was an "independent contractor") last week, and so I'm supposed to be full time now. For the first week, it was fine. I went in full time, no problem. This week was the second week and guess what? I have a cold. Monday I go in but leave early because I feel sick. Tuesday and Wednesday I figure okay I can just work from home, but I'll definitely be back in by Thursday. But here we are, I'm still sick of course, don't really feel much better, and not going in to work. I feel bad that I'm this new employee and I immediately get sick. Other people do go to work sick, though they really shouldn't and I probably *got* sick from one of them, but still. It doesn't help that this week everything I'm working on needs to be discussed and evaluated by the other people I'm working with so working in a vacuum actually isn't the best. Bleh. I'm trying to show "self compassion," it's not like it is "my fault" I'm sick, but a part of me feels like it is somehow.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Ugh the same thing happened to me, I was sick for like a week and a half right after starting a new job and unexpectedly having other emergencies causing me to miss work and it's STRESSFUL because you don't want people to think you're a slacker or were looking for an opportunity to skip the whole time.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Blech, that's no fun.

I've been sick on and off for two weeks, too. Fortunately school just let out, but I missed graduation and I'm currently missing training.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

A. Why are we all sick?? Emiliana I hope you get better soon, that's too long to be sick.
B.
Zedability wrote:it's STRESSFUL because you don't want people to think you're a slacker or were looking for an opportunity to skip the whole time.
Exactly!! At least I can do some work from home, but it still isn't the same.