Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Portia »

I skipped bike rides the past couple of days and I feel it. Need to get back out there.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

...until we can stop seeing "scientists" and "female scientists" and just see a bunch of scientists. https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82856/

Made me think of the same thing with missionaries. Hopefully we can stop seeing "missionaries" and "sister missionaries" and just see a bunch of missionaries.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

#1 pet peeve on my mission: "Can you give this to the missionaries?" WE ARE THE MISSIONARIES. Or, "Are you going to share a thought with us like the missionaries do when they come over?" "Yes...because we ARE missionaries."

My mission only had like 10 sisters total before the age change, but STILL. GEEZ.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82843/

In the time it took for this to post, he got a girlfriend. I hate my life :cry:
Portia

Post by Portia »

The Happy Medium wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82843/

In the time it took for this to post, he got a girlfriend. I hate my life :cry:
Time to turn on the "crazy" vibes. (With a new guy.)
Integrating Editor

Post by Integrating Editor »

Can I just say that I was highly entertained by El-ahrairah's recycling of a previous answer?
This teenager got up in fast and testimony meeting and said, "I know...that the Church isn't true." Then he walked out of the chapel. He was looking for attention.

In my YSA ward, the same 50-year-old lady (no amount of pleading could get her to go to the adult ward) got up first every fast and testimony meeting and spent 15 minutes talking about her life and past relationships. Not necessarily false doctrine, but still not something you want your investigators listening to. Luckily not many of them could understand her accent.
versus
This teenager got up one time and said, "I know...that the Church isn't true." Then he walked out of the chapel. He was looking for attention.

In my YSA ward, the same 50-year-old lady (no amount of pleading could get her to go to the adult ward) got up first every fast and testimony meeting and spent 15 minutes talking about her life and past relationships. Not necessarily false doctrine, but still not something you want your investigators listening to. Luckily not many of them could understand her South American accent.
I thought I had gone crazy for a minute when I realized I recognized both the stories and the wording in a newly posted question. Apparently copy and paste is more efficient than linking to an old question. Or maybe those few shifts in wording were significant enough to warrant posting again with some adaptation rather than linking? I'm not really sure why her accent being South American is important.
Portia

Post by Portia »

On paper, my life looks pretty good. I'm married. I have a relatively new car. I have some really happy one-year anniversary pictures. I have parents who care about me. I have a full time job with great benefits. I have nice clothes and my hair generally looks well-kept. Just looking at that list I'm almost envious of my own life.

Here is that same list, worded a bit differently. I didn't get married until I was 29. I have a new car and the car payment and insurance that goes along with it (for nearly a quarter of my monthly pay). I have some one-year anniversary pictures where I had to fake happiness because it was freezing cold and I was upset that our photographer was nearly 20 minutes late. I have parents who at one point were dirt poor and had it not been for scholarships I would have had to drop out of school. Every night after I get home from work I typically rant for a good 20 minutes about all the things I hate about my job. Most of my clothes are at least 3 years old (quite a bit are much older than that), and I have to fight my hair for at least 20 minutes every morning to make it look decent and not like a mess of raggedy curls. This list doesn't even begin to explain the other issues in my life, but I think you get the idea. It's the same life - but with more honest details.
I liked this a lot from Ms. Yay. I find the "Instagram mom" phenomenon to be incredibly damaging, and the question-asker's own experiences show how both motherhood and daughterhood can be so incredibly rough. It's something I want to explore in the novel I'm writing (yes! I'm writing it! Hoping to get an agent next June!).
Digit

Post by Digit »

I suspect there's probably a lot of truth to this. Having a brain pretty much like anatomically modern H. sapiens accustomed to meeting maybe 150 other H. sapiens in a lifetime, in an evolutionary instant suddenly being exposed to maybe millions in a lifetime, easily more than 150 will best you at things you want to feel successful at.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I wanna know what a "South American" accent is.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:I wanna know what a "South American" accent is.
Quantum accent between Spanish, Portuguese, and French.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I was really appreciative for the MLM question, BQ 82831. Mostly because I just had someone try to advertise Thrive on Facebook and I just laughed and laughed. Plus, I've always been extremely skeptical of MLM's and the article regarding Utah Valley was very interesting and well written.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/82887/

Stellar answer from Auto Surf.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83105/

Words cannot describe how much I love the Shia LeBeouf motivational meme.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Cindy wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83105/

Words cannot describe how much I love the Shia LeBeouf motivational meme.
That's seriously one of my favorite things I've ever found.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Board Question #83107
Auto Surf wrote:As for moving in general, decide to like it before you get there. It helps you look for the positive and start off on the right foot.
I needed to hear that. My husband and I decided this week to pack up and move across the country next month and I've been, to put it mildly, freaking out about moving away from a city we love to a new place that's going to be completely different. It's been hard to adjust my attitude about it.
Amity

Post by Amity »

Also, story time relating to Board Question #83138! This isn't just a new thing that's cropped up after Obergefell. My grad school had this rule where if you lived in student housing before a certain date you could live there for the entirety of your degree, but after that date you were limited to two years (unless you were the spouse or partner of an eligible grad student or had kids). Two of my female friends entered into a civil union of sorts so one of them wouldn't have to leave grad housing. I think they had to sign some paperwork and have a joint banking account to prove their "relationship." I didn't ask them whether they had to dissolve the union after they graduated or how difficult it was.

Also, some states make dissolving a marriage comparatively easy. When my husband was divorcing his previous wife, because they'd been married less than five years and didn't have kids or a house they were able to do it without getting lawyers or mediators involved. They had to file some paperwork at the courthouse and wait six months for it to be finalized, but that was it. I still wouldn't advise a sham marriage to get tax benefits, though.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Amity wrote:Also, story time relating to Board Question #83138! This isn't just a new thing that's cropped up after Obergefell. My grad school had this rule where if you lived in student housing before a certain date you could live there for the entirety of your degree, but after that date you were limited to two years (unless you were the spouse or partner of an eligible grad student or had kids). Two of my female friends entered into a civil union of sorts so one of them wouldn't have to leave grad housing. I think they had to sign some paperwork and have a joint banking account to prove their "relationship." I didn't ask them whether they had to dissolve the union after they graduated or how difficult it was.

Also, some states make dissolving a marriage comparatively easy. When my husband was divorcing his previous wife, because they'd been married less than five years and didn't have kids or a house they were able to do it without getting lawyers or mediators involved. They had to file some paperwork at the courthouse and wait six months for it to be finalized, but that was it. I still wouldn't advise a sham marriage to get tax benefits, though.
A lot of military personnel will get married for the benefits. They get a larger living allowance, can live off base, and their partner gets affordable health insurance, as well as other resources. This is also one of the reasons that military divorce rates are so high.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

To "whoo!" (among others) in Portuguese, see the following:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category ... erjections
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83314/

The Manti Temple is (partially) made of fossils. :shock:
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/83356/

Thanks Zedability for sharing that article at the end. I read it, it was great. It resonated a lot with my own personal experience. Your answer was awesome too.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead