Rant of the Day

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Rainbow_connection

Re: Rant of the Day

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I'm sorry. I can empathize, and it's really hard to deal with it. Even worse is that my husband is of Mexican descent, and certain relatives STILL won't stop making comments about "the Mexicans" as soon as he's out of the room.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Rainbow_connection wrote:I'm sorry. I can empathize, and it's really hard to deal with it. Even worse is that my husband is of Mexican descent, and certain relatives STILL won't stop making comments about "the Mexicans" as soon as he's out of the room.
The worst of many bad incidents was my great-aunt going on and on about a black cab driver in Georgia who apparently was going to leap out and MURDER her. (Because she was black? It's like a YouTube comment thread gained sentience.)

I'm very ashamed I said nothing. :-|
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think I did mumble to my sister that I'd used Uber many times and been driven by all races and was alive to tell the tale, but still, weak game, self.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Oh! I am proud that despite my shock (what are they READING?!), I was able to explain to my sister what "faggot" means and not to use it.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

You'll regret that the next time she needs to bundle up some sticks.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Genuine Article wrote:You'll regret that the next time she needs to bundle up some sticks.
:P Oh I covered secondary definitions (in this case cigarettes in British English)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Portia wrote:Oh! I am proud that despite my shock (what are they READING?!), I was able to explain to my sister what "faggot" means and not to use it.
Ouch.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I once saw a restaurant marquee in Pennsylvania advertising the restaurant's faggots.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

That looks disgusting. I wonder if there's an etymological link to haggis or if it's coincidence that they sound similar.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I am really sick of drunken neighbors waking me up in the wee hours of the morning.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Am a little hypomanic. Got annoyed at downstairs neighbors playing music loudly after quiet time. Stomped in time to the music. Seemed music got quieter. Felt ashamed and went quietly to room. CAN NOW HEAR MUSIC AGAIN
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I enjoy commenting on issues on the internet. I feel that I often have a (sadly) unique view. I'm an active LDS member who completely believes in agency (and consequences) and that most consequences will come from God and it's not my position to judge. Anyway...

I hate when I comment on a religious issue and the thread basically goes like this:
Me: I believe in God
Someone Else: But why do you need to believe in God or even that He has anything to do with your life?
Me: Because I have experienced it
SE: Your experiences are completely invalid because they're subjective.
Me: I'm not requiring anyone else to believe, I'm just sharing my belief.
SE: Your belief is stupid/wrong/idiotic, seriously, just think about it and you will see that there isn't a God.

I just really hate when others basically require me to not believe in God before they take me seriously. Last I checked, the 1st amendment was still in play, after all, I'm not telling them that they have to believe. Why do people have to make it their vendetta to completely crush God. I also hate when they ask for experiences, aka 'evidence', and completely refuse to accept that I have witnessed evidence and have taken it as truth even if they haven't.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

there's just as much "objective" evidence for the non-existence of God as there is for the existence of God, in my mind. Ugh, some atheists are bullies.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

To be fair (??? not fair at all :P), religious people have told me almost the same thing: "SE: Your belief is stupid/wrong/idiotic, seriously, just think about it and you will see that there is a God." But either way I agree that it is really rude and annoying to deny someone their subjective experience. And not to take you seriously because of that. I hate when non-religious people say stuff like what those internet people said to you especially because SO MANY great scientists and philosophers who have contributed so much to our understanding of the physical world were religious or at least spiritual in some way. It just baffles me that many modern atheists don't realize that or discredit religious people because of that.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

mic0, I agree, there has been wrong doing on both sides. I think the important part is to not stereotype others (oh, you believe something different than me? You must be a certain kind of special) and just take it on a case by case basis when interacting with people. All too often, when it comes to heated issues like abortion, feminism, religion, gay marriage, etc, we tend to draw a really hard line in the sand. Everyone ends up being someone who agrees with you or someone who is a complete idiot and incapable of rational thought. It is possible to agree with some aspects of things and disagree with others.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Agreeeeeed. :) A lot.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Can the whole Cecil issue just DIE already?!
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

I cleaned up my roommates' crap in the kitchen and living room for an HOUR. I get home, nobody says thank you or anything and then they have a bunch of people and cook a ton of food without cleaning it up. I am so done.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

the anglophile wrote:I cleaned up my roommates' crap in the kitchen and living room for an HOUR. I get home, nobody says thank you or anything and then they have a bunch of people and cook a ton of food without cleaning it up. I am so done.
This will never end. Trust me.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Just keep your room and your dishes clean and hang out at other people's apartments, if it gets to be too much.