Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Tally M.

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Tally M. »

I'm starting to try to write creative nonfiction. Which means I started a blog. If you know me IRL you're welcome to shoot me a message of some sort if you'd like to read it
Portia

Post by Portia »

... I just got 'dumped" as a "friend" by a textbook narcissist.

"Have a nice life," indeed.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Heh, got an email today from someone regarding a very short and corny story I wrote a long, long time ago. I'd forgotten about that.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha! When you are on a page of this here board, copy the url (for instance, http://www.theboardboard.org/viewtopic. ... start=4840 ) and drop it into the "search" at gizoogle.net. It translates that specific page, i.e., comments by folks here, into (sometimes coarse) slang.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sometimes I wonder about the super massive quantities sold at Costco. Who is buying 50 pound bags of granulated sugar?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My mom. She had giant containers for it. It's not like it goes bad. But I don't know if I'll be buying them anytime soon haha.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Volunteering to give a lesson in church today (because it's in between semesters and they didn't know who'd still be around) turned into giving a Sunday School lesson, a talk, playing the piano for sacrament meeting, and sight reading a musical number.

I'm a bit exhausted.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I think my favorite thing at Costco is the large beef hot dog and fountain drink for $1.50.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Tally M. wrote:Volunteering to give a lesson in church today (because it's in between semesters and they didn't know who'd still be around) turned into giving a Sunday School lesson, a talk, playing the piano for sacrament meeting, and sight reading a musical number.

I'm a bit exhausted.
Those days are so frustrating and fulfilling at the same time. I'm sure people appreciated it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Gas dipped below $2 again in my area. $1.98.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Well the Church is sticking with Boy Scouts. Yay. http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/c ... ng-program
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Why are weekends only two days long? I seriously need to work on lesson plans, but I seriously am still too tired.
wryness

Post by wryness »

IF YOU'RE IN UTAH AND BUY AT LEAST 8 DOLLARS OF GAS AT CHEVRON THIS MONTH, THEY'LL DONATE A DOLLAR TO TEACHER PROJECTS ON DONORSCHOOSE.ORG. I am slightly excited about this in case you couldn't tell.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

So I've moved to Houston, and moving is EXHAUSTING, and I feel like I've unpacked SO MUCH, but I still have a lot to do, and my knee REALLY HURTS from going up and down the stairs and being on my feet at school all day.

I'm tired, y'all.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Finally got fed up with Ubuntu and re-installed Windows 10. A properly functioning tablet mode plus Microsoft Excel was too much to resist. Yay for virtual machines though.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This doomsday "Prepper" cult thing is out of freakin' control.
Violet

Post by Violet »

So my student organization has tied on voting for a professional development trip location once already. It went to a run off after much internal leadership discussion.

Of course it went the way that costs are 75% more to the organization by just one vote. If we had taken votes at face value it would have gone the other way, but some people didn't include their names and we verified against membership. I don't know if it's the growing up in a large Mormon family frugality or if this creating an issue that I have to fix as finance director that's making super anxious about this right now.

Also, I wanted the cheaper location for personal reasons, so I'm disappointed about that. Now I just need to be able to find cheap flights and hotel for our university professor chaperone (Yes, we have to have a chaperone, and pay for their stay, as grad students. Yes, I hate this.).
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I'm doing a three-day carb detox and I kind of feel like hell. I didn't know if I was supposed to feel like this, so I looked it up, and apparently this is a thing, and it's called the "low-carb flu." And the science behind it is actually kind of cool. Your body usually uses carbs as fuel, but obviously if you've only had 60g of carbs in the last 36 hours then it can't do that. But a not-terribly-healthy metabolism (such as mine, apparently) is resistant to switching over to using your fat stores as fuel, because that's a lot harder to do. So your body starts protesting and saying, "Wait, wait! We don't have the energy for this!" But then after a day or two it's like, "Okay, fine, I guess we'll just have to start on those fat stores after all." That's why even a few days of super-low-carb helps with weight loss, because it starts re-training your metabolism to burn fat more easily.

For some reason, knowing the science behind my headache and sluggishness makes it a lot easier to bear. Is that weird?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I don't think it's weird. Learning the science behind tears made me a lot more open to crying.