Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Whistler »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Hi team! Long time no see. Just thought I'd visit and say "Hi, how's everyone doing?"
My baby took over my life! I'm more aggressive about actually doing things I want to do though? I feel like I've come to terms with the fact that I won't change the world in some earth-shattering way, but I can affect the lives of a few people who are close to me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Jason Chaffetz being one of two people in the running for Speaker of the House seems like something out of a Jason Reitmann movie, not real life.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

By the way, if any of you are living in the Houston area, my mom is giving a talk at a fireside tomorrow night about mental health and faith. She has dealt with a lot of mental health issues throughout her life, and struggles with faith and church culture surrounding mental health issues, so it should be really interesting. If anyone is interested in attending let me know and I can post the address. (I'm not sure if any of you live out there or would be interested anyway, just thought I'd offer!)
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

ZOMG. My sister just called to tell me that Joann's is selling Beary Merry Christmas advent calendars. They've been out of print for years and are hard to find, so they've been selling for hundreds of dollars online because everyone who grew up with one now wants one of their own. And they're finally reprinting them! My sister bought three and is thinking of going back for more. Some people stockpile guns, or canned goods; my family stockpiles bear-themed advent calendars from the 1980's. I don't think we're going to fare well during the apocalypse.
Portia

Post by Portia »

This is a philosophical question to me as a secular humanist, I suppose, but I feel like there are WILDLY diverging opinions among Mormons about the afterlife, and I don't know if there's been some kind of updated eschatology I missed out on or something.

The phrase "wallowing in the Terrestrial Kingdom" was used, maybe half in jest, but I thought to Mormons, that was still 100% certified heaven. Then I hear my brother jest about "V.I.P. heaven," which our grandma seems to not think she'll get into because she was divorced.

THEN there's the whole thorny issue around posthumous polygyny. Most people in my camp think that you're de facto agreeing to get freaky in the next life with a veritable harem. To be fair, it's not like D&C 132, with its questionable ethics, has ever been denounced. So I see where it's not really "haha jokey" and quite possibly a real struggle/possibly hope for some people?

In my opinion there's no such thing as what's so blithely referred to as "doctrine" (interesting how that always seems to change, I guess?) but what is your opinion of the afterlife? It's something that interests me intensely despite thinking that this is all there is, and that our consciousness is snuffed out like a candle, so there's no heaven or hell and thus no reason to worry who's married to whom besides trying to find some bit of happiness in the present (which is romantic, in its way, to me).
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm genuinely curious about people's opinions, not trying to poke fun at anyone's beliefs. The afterlife multiple-wives thing DOES strike me as, well, odd, but maybe there are people who are totally fine with it. My anecdotal experience though is that it seems to cause women, especially, a lot of distress, and just interested in what people's viewpoints are, either way.

Also interested in any Catholic/Jewish/Hindi etc. viewpoints we may have on this board.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Forgot my sweater in the testing center. Felt too awkward to talk to the employees about it, so I went back and took another test in order to retrieve it. (Just a STAC test)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I found out today that the guy I was in love with pretty much from the ages of 10-18 is gay. I mean, I'd kinda suspected for a long time, but now there's a picture of him with his boyfriend on Facebook. I feel strangely vindicated. Is that weird?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, it does give a compelling reason for him to have never asked you out, if that's the case
Portia

Post by Portia »

Emiliana wrote:I found out today that the guy I was in love with pretty much from the ages of 10-18 is gay. I mean, I'd kinda suspected for a long time, but now there's a picture of him with his boyfriend on Facebook. I feel strangely vindicated. Is that weird?
I felt the same way about a freshman year crush of mine. Reading my decade-old correspondence about him is much more painful than crushes before or after, for some reason.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

About 3/4 of a chapter's worth of French homework is due in two hours.

To TV Tropes!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Certified LEGO Professional. When you're really serious about your toys.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My last homework assignment and math test are due in two hours, and I have to get up at 6:30 to take Marduk to the train station.

To TV Tropes!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Young Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks!) was the perfect man, current Kyle MacLachlan is perfect as the mayor of Portland on Portlandia, and his tweets are great.

That's all.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Having a crush is weird
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i have been sick for two weeks, and I'm ready to axe murder the germs in my body.

Also my new job is CRAZY, but so fun. We've already done two full length productions, hosted junior high one act play contest, and auditions for the show I'm directing are next week. Non-stop!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:Non-stop!
Why do you direct like you're running out of time? ;)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Katya wrote:
I'm glad you caught my #hamiltunes reference.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:
Katya wrote:
I'm glad you caught my #hamiltunes reference.
:D
Portia

Post by Portia »

My boyfriend is wisely using his time getting into a long drawn-out Facebook argument with a Christian nationalist. His phrase, "Only JESUS saves" inspired me to start using "Only JEDIS save" as a social media appeal.

HOW HAS MY BOYFRIEND LET ME WITHER THIS LONG IN IGNORANCE OF THE ONE TRUE FORCE