Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

I know there are a lot of broke students here, but I thought I'd give you all the heads up. A friend of mine from elementary school is heading up a Secret Santa for a family with several children through IHC hospital. He had met a struggling family on the TRAX, and I suggested that he contact the hospital directly to see if there was a family we could help. Using his super-awesome-management skills, he has got it going. :-) They could use both money donations, and also books and toys. I know there are some parents who may have gently used items they'd be able to donate if money isn't reasonable this season.

I will share the Facebook post with anyone who is interested. You can send me a message there or here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I feel like everyone I know has had a baby in the last week. Then I remembered that North Texas had unseasonable ice and snow that shut down a lot of roads at the very beginning of March.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

My sis-in-law just had a baby on Friday! They live in Dallas! It all makes sense now.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I saw someone who looked REALLY familiar at the kid's play thing at the library. I was meeting some other people there though, so I didn't have the opportunity to say "I recognize you but I have no idea why!"
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:I saw someone who looked REALLY familiar at the kid's play thing at the library. I was meeting some other people there though, so I didn't have the opportunity to say "I recognize you but I have no idea why!"
One of the products I write documentation for will be able to incorporate non-ILS data into the Analytics tool. So if there was an attendance sheet/sign-in for a kid's program at the library, and then circulation spiked that day, the librarians will be able to quickly see that correlation. Pretty cool! #nerdalert
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Yesterday I deactivated my facebook because I was sick of Islamophobia. I'll probably re-activate sometime after Christmas, but man, it was a good call for right now.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Up top to the wise women of the board telling me to ignore a loser who wants to screw with my mind for Christmas. (When of COURSE he knows I'll be lonely and thus vulnerable to his bogus.)

Some people* can't be satisfied when you're stable. o_O

*These people literally have serious mental health issues. What a weird experience, even for me.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I asked a question that came into my head regarding what is the smallest animal a veterinarian has operated on, thinking it would be a rare thing. But then I forgot about the non-pet, animals-as-study objects side. It's a little weird to read a web page at Johns Hopkins explaining how to operate on living rodents in tutorial format over the Internet. I cringe imagining some random person in the world using this information in their basement.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I have never eaten nor ever seen or heard of anyone eating a cupcake like this. #prescriptivism
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.09 KiB) Viewed 12235 times
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I eat it like that all of the time after my roommate showed it to me
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

I have a little bitty Etsy crochet business that barely pays for its own expenses, but gives me an excuse to buy ALL THE YARN. Last week one of my students ordered a hat for his dad that featured the symbol their family used to brand on their cattle. I thought that was fun.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Spotify's Algorithms behind Discovery Weekly, and why it's awesome.

Any playlist that has Patsy Cline and Motion City Soundtrack IS weirdly attuned to my tastes ...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:Spotify's Algorithms behind Discovery Weekly, and why it's awesome.

Any playlist that has Patsy Cline and Motion City Soundtrack IS weirdly attuned to my tastes ...
wow, cool. I just started listening to my weekly discover list and I love it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I moved my betta from a one-gallon bowl with a plastic plant to a 10-gallon tank with a real one.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Pet Peeve:

People who thought that asking any questions about the Church's new policy on children of LGBT couples was wrong because the brethren are inspired seem to be the same people who are now saying that they're very disappointed in the Church denouncing those Oregon people because the Church "clearly didn't look at all the facts" and is "supporting a corrupt government."

Either every Church stance is scripture, or they're all open to questions and concerns.
Portia

Post by Portia »

What even is a corrupt government to these people
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I could do all my homework... or I could do literally nothing.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
wryness

Post by wryness »

I just played "Small Worlds" at a game night, and it took the few things I LIKE about Risk and took away everything I don't like about Risk (which is a lot). It was one of the most fun board games I've ever played. And the randomization ensures that no 2 games are exactly alike!

...now, if someone could figure out how to establish a round limit with Monopoly, I might even be able to tolerate that one! (Both "Risk" and "Monopoly" start out fun, and then turn into drag-fests while you wait for the person who is clearly going to win to finish up crushing you. None of that in Small Worlds.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hooray for good board game design!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

*people post homophobic stuff on Facebook*

*people post the Deseret News article on LGBT suicides and act all sad about it*

Really annoys me how many of these are the same people.