He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

On the Board board.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thank you for the clarification, I was fairly sure that is what you meant but figured I would double-check. I, (like usual, I've been noticing), could very well argue for either side of the issue. In my opinion this dichotomy is part of the definition of a forum, hovering somewhere between an immense IM chat and a multi-person web log. If the trend towards pure quantity becomes too severe, the forum flys apart into a magpie chatterbox, killing time without doing anything productive. Stray too far toward demanding only pure quality responses and the forum slows, decaying from inattention and neglect (who has time to write a four paragraph essay, complete with references on each topic this forum was designed to address?). For each forum there is a unique balance to be found, and I don't feel that this one is doing too bad at fulfilling the purposes for which it was made.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

If by jerk you mean soboe, then yes.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I believe our board here is for both debates and friendly chatter, so quality isn't always very important. Our Random 3.0 thread is for anything, as are many others, and quality isn't really something we think about there. However, there are several threads that are serious debates, and there quality is rather necessary.

I will say that we seem to be doing pretty well in keeping trivial things out of more serious threads.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Well, I was the one who instigated the random 3.0 convo between the three of us, but quality is usually better.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

In my opinion, quantity for quantities sake is idiotic, but if you have something that you want to say, go ahead and post it. I certainly don't mind idle chit chat, and have really enjoyed many of the Board board's more random moments.

Even still, since the terms are so exclusive, I guess I'm going to have to vote for quality, since at least quality has some merit, while quantity alone is practically worthless. The golden ideal is, obviously, a large quantity of quality material though. :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I voted "Darth Fedora is a jerk" because it's the only option I understood.

siiiigh
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Hobbes wrote: siiiigh
That's alright Hobbes, you can wreak your revenge later.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:That's alright Hobbes, you can wreak your revenge later.
I hope that someday, someone will want to take revenge on me.

Ways in which I am willing to settle disputes:
dance-offs
space cadet pinball face-offs
bake-offs
thumb wrestling
popularity contests
drag racing
ultimate cage fighting
crossword puzzle races
baby polar bear snuggling contests (please pick this one)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Darth Fedora wrote: baby polar bear snuggling contests (please pick this one)
I am emailing Hogle Zoo to see what they say. I'll let you know when they reply.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Goober

Post by Goober »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
I am emailing Hogle Zoo to see what they say. I'll let you know when they reply.
I think I will be going to the zoo on Satuday with my ward, if there is anything I can do to help let me know!
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Hogle Zoo Representative wrote: No, I'm sorry, that's not possible. We do everything we can with all of our animals to encourage natural behaviors, and hugging people doesn't fit under that category. Also, it will be at least a couple of years before polar bears return to Hogle Zoo.
Alas, there aren't even any polar bears in Hogle Zoo. A shame.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I miss Hogle Zoo.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

As in, who can survive the longest being in close proximity to a killing machine?
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Hobbes wrote:
As in, who can survive the longest being in close proximity to a killing machine?
And by killing machine you mean scrumptiously adorable balls of love and fur, right?
SWKT Parachuter

Post by SWKT Parachuter »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Hogle Zoo Representative wrote: No, I'm sorry, that's not possible. We do everything we can with all of our animals to encourage natural behaviors, and hugging people doesn't fit under that category. Also, it will be at least a couple of years before polar bears return to Hogle Zoo.
Alas, there aren't even any polar bears in Hogle Zoo. A shame.
Dang, I got my hopes all up. As if there were any possibility that a zoo would let some random college students play with its animals. Good thing emails are free, because you just wasted one!
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Tis but a fools hope.

Edit: And yes, I knowingly walked into it.
SWKT Parachuter

Post by SWKT Parachuter »

I hope you signed your real name. Weird looking pseudo-military acronyms would do wonders for your cause.