missionary farewells

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dark Chocolate

missionary farewells

Post by Dark Chocolate »

So, I was wanting to hear people's opinions on this.

I'm at an age where many guys I went to school with are returning from missions. With it comes the customary homecoming speech, and more often than not, a smorgasbord at the parents' home during Sunday School.

One guy in particular is having such festivities soon, as I heard from a mutual friend. Even though we had tons of classes together (even had one together in college), and we went on a date, once, that was about the extent of our friendship after our sophomore year of high school. I think it would be awkward to go, as he has not said a word to me (written or otherwise) in two and a half years. My mom said, "it's church: you don't have to be invited."

I did go to both the farewell and homecoming for another high school friend, but we actually had had some correspondance while he was gone. He told me the time and address in one of his letters, so I was obviously invited.

What would/have all of you done in similar situations? Go to all of them, just to see your friends that will be there? Avoid even the events of your closest friends because their families fail to heed Pres. Hinckley's advice that they stay the full three meetings? Or something in between?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Eh... If the guy is or at one time was a friend, and you still like him, then I say you should go and welcome him home, but try and make it back to church in time for relief society or whatever because from what it sounds like, you guys aren't that close anymore. But that's my vote: shoot for at least two hours of church, if you aren't close anymore, but if it is a good friend, then you can stay until the party's over.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Go for the food.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

"I'm only here for the food."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:"I'm only here for the food."
I love that movie. :D
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

yellow m&m wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:"I'm only here for the food."
I love that movie. :D
So do I. Too bad it wasn't funny enough to be watched last night.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dark Chocolate

Post by Dark Chocolate »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Eh... If the guy is or at one time was a friend, and you still like him, then I say you should go and welcome him home, but try and make it back to church in time for relief society or whatever because from what it sounds like, you guys aren't that close anymore. But that's my vote: shoot for at least two hours of church, if you aren't close anymore, but if it is a good friend, then you can stay until the party's over.
See, that's the thing . . . it's up where I used to live, which is not where I am now. Not a terrible distance, but still, being car-less, it just doesn't seem worth it.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Oh, if it's not near where you're at, then unless you were really good friends, I would say don't go.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I see this as two separate things as far as the invitation goes. If you *want* to go listen to him go speak in Sacrament Meeting, by all means, go for it. It's Sacrament Meeting. It's church. As far as a reception at his parents' house (during church? really? You're not kidding?) go if you'd feel comfortable there, but if you wouldn't, don't. If it's not a close friend or you're not attending with close friends it could just be all kinds of awkward.