Random Thread V

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

I'm just trying to figure out when I'm going to have time to vote. Tuesday is a mess.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

All-state jazz choir results are out and floating around! I really want to get the email with all the reults in it, but the only kid I know that has it is the one that I was complaining about the other day.! ACK! And I really don't want to find out from him. I'll just wait until tomorrow at school to know, I guess.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:BYU wants me to write essays for them to give me scholarships. I may do them, if only so I can say "BYU gave me X scholarship, but I turned it down to go to X college". Rather full of myself? Possibly. But honestly, even if I get the Monson, that's only tuition and a half. ASU will pay me $8,000 a year. That's after books, tuition, and everything else.
BYU has been consistently moving in the direction of giving less scholarship money to more people (in addition to the 70% subsidy that all Mormon students get). So, yes. 150% of tuition is the most you're going to get, assuming you're not an athlete. It sounds like BYU's scholarship funds would be better spend on someone who'll actually appreciate it. :P
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

My ballot is mailed and on it's way to be counted. Yay for overnight shipping. Boo for it costing my all but 50 cents of my checking account. At least I get paid this week. And in time to fund my party on Friday.
Giovanni Schwartz

Katya wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:BYU wants me to write essays for them to give me scholarships. I may do them, if only so I can say "BYU gave me X scholarship, but I turned it down to go to X college". Rather full of myself? Possibly. But honestly, even if I get the Monson, that's only tuition and a half. ASU will pay me $8,000 a year. That's after books, tuition, and everything else.
BYU has been consistently moving in the direction of giving less scholarship money to more people (in addition to the 70% subsidy that all Mormon students get). So, yes. 150% of tuition is the most you're going to get, assuming you're not an athlete. It sounds like BYU's scholarship funds would be better spend on someone who'll actually appreciate it. :P
Yeah. Hence why I will go somewhere that will allow me to appreciate their money, because it will be enough to be worthwhile. ;D
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like money is your primary drive for going somewhere to school. And something about that seems so very wrong.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Giovanni Schwartz

No, it sounds like that, but it's also what schools have the program I want, and according to BYU's application, it seems to me like they don't even have an engineering program at all. ASU, on the other hand, has one of the best mechanical engineering programs in the nation, which is what I want to go into, they are the closest to my house (I could live at home), and they will pay me enough money above and beyond tuition, books, etc, to pay for half of my mission in my first year of college without me doing a thing. It's just seeming like ASU is the right place for me. BYU is the right place for some people, and that's awesome, but ASU is where I think I should be going.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Money had quite a bit to do with where I went to school... of course, it just so happened that I really wanted to go to the school that was willing to give me benefits.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Exactly. ASU is where I've wanted to go forever. Some kids grow up with their parents telling them they will go to BYU. I grew up with my mom saying I should go to ASU.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Um, I had a lot of friends who told me they came to BYU for the engineering department, so . . . I am not sure what happened there.

However, I also went to the school that gave me the most money. Vanderbilt would have been $30,000 a year (to become a teacher, no less), and BYU was free. There were other options in the middle, but those were my extremes.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:No, it sounds like that, but it's also what schools have the program I want, and according to BYU's application, it seems to me like they don't even have an engineering program at all.
You are joking, right? BYU has an awesome ME program! I should know! I'm in it! It is also a top ranked program, and has a lot of opportunity for undergrad research and a lot of room for really cool projects. BYU is a leader in UAV's, Isotruss design, and many other engineering specialties.

If you want to go to ASU, great for you. Just don't let it be about money. :D
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Apparently my grandfather started BYU's engeneering program. I hope it's good. My father, brother and sister along with some cousins also graduated from it. It can't be that bad.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

But I hated BYU until I came here. I came here for the money. Was that wrong, Fred?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Was that the only reason you came to BYU?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Um, basically, yup.

My entire home ward in Ohio went to BYU every year. If they didn't go to BYU, they went inactive and were never seen again. Me being the independant teenager that I was, said that I would never go to BYU unless " I get a full ride or something", said with the sarcastic "when pigs fly" tone of voice. Then I got the full ride. I cried. And then I took that as a hint from God and came.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Sounds to me like you saw it as answer to a prayer, so it wasn't really because of the money.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

More like an answer to teenage tantrums than prayer, but . . . point taken.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Hey Gio, you may want to take a look at some of these Just so you know a little bit more about the engineering program here.
Last edited by Nanti-SARRMM on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

There is nothing wrong with choosing a school for superficial seeming reasons. I still have figured out if I'm at BYU due to laziness, weather, or inspiration. But however I got here I'm glad to be here.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Unit of Energy wrote:I still have figured out if I'm at BYU due to laziness, weather, or inspiration.
You came for the soon to come snow?! Yay!