Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:
Katya wrote:It turns out that the latest internet celebrity is Iranian-American (NASA's "mohawk guy"), and I'm having fun watching the Iranian community on Twitter geek out. And I thought of you, Imogen, because I don't actually know that many people of Iranian descent. (Alas, he's got a girlfriend, which doesn't make this information terribly useful, given the current conversation. But I thought I'd throw it out there, anyway.)
His last name is the name of a famous Iranian poet, so i knew he was Iranian as soon as I saw his last name.
I learned that when I googled his name. (My favorite tweet on the topic: Who saved the Persian language? Ferdowsi. Who,1000 yrs later, landed us on Mars? Ferdowsi.)
Imogen wrote:Also, go my people!

Also, I'm sad my future husband is dating someone else....sigh.
Maybe he has a brother? ;)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Go me. I just walked around outside forever in winter tights. And dark clothes. I don't dress for the season, I guess.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/08/ ... Stories%29

I'm glad that I had some idea who this guy was before I clicked on the link. Or else I would have been TOTALLY confused.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Pretty much the only thing in the world that grosses me out is moldy vegetables. Seriously, I had my hand in someone's subcutaneous fat the other day, didn't bother me at all. Hands covered in someone else's blood, that's fine. Cleaning toilets, cutting up raw beef ribs, changing diapers, none of that grosses me out at all. Tonight, I take a bell pepper out of the fridge and one side is all wet and squishy and then there's spider web-like grey stuff inside, and I actually almost threw up. I wonder if there's some long-repressed incident involving moldy vegetables in my past that makes me react like this.
Giovanni Schwartz

I once accidentally ate a piece of moldy bread. It was only moldy on the bottom side, and I didn't notice, besides that my bread was extra tough, until I was halfway done and my mom pointed it out for me.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

In Grade 9, we took a field trip to the hospital. They had a dummy in the ICU and were describing different procedures. I had to sit down and put my head between my knees.

Strangely, 4 years later, that stuff doesn't gross me out at all anymore.
Giovanni Schwartz

In lifeguard training, they would show us pictures of these really grisly injuries. We would always ask "Have you ever seen anything like that?" And they always said "well, no. But it could!" Yeah. Right. How is someone going to cut their finger off in a swimming pool? And why did I have to learn how to birth a baby?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I once accidentally ate a piece of moldy bread. It was only moldy on the bottom side, and I didn't notice, besides that my bread was extra tough, until I was halfway done and my mom pointed it out for me.
I don't think I would be ok if that happened to me. I think I would die a little inside.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I have a friend who we would have to hide the moldy bread from him. As in his roommates found a loaf or two of moldy bread over a few months and would take them up to my apartment to throw them out so that he wouldn't take them out of the trash and eat them. He finally stopped after three or four different occasions when he got sick after eating moldy bread.
Giovanni Schwartz

NerdGirl wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I once accidentally ate a piece of moldy bread. It was only moldy on the bottom side, and I didn't notice, besides that my bread was extra tough, until I was halfway done and my mom pointed it out for me.
I don't think I would be ok if that happened to me. I think I would die a little inside.
Why do you think I am the way I am?!?!
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

GUYS. Today is my last day of work at [large, famous company that I have worked at for two years] EVER! I am so so so so happy!!

I never have to come back here. Ever.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Awesome! :D I've only got three more days at my current job. And there was much rejoicing.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I leave for Provo in exactly two weeks! I'm excited :) Vanilla Coke, here I come!
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

BayesianConspiracy wrote:I leave for Provo in exactly two weeks! I'm excited :) Vanilla Coke, here I come!
After three very long days at work I bought a couple Vanilla Cokes on my way home yesterday.
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

Ha. Read that as "I bought a couple vanilla cakes on my way home," and was wondering how many vanilla cakes one person really needs.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:What style of shoes do you usually wear to church, DL?
Flats. Simple flats. It's also compounded by the fact that my heel doesn't curve in at the ankle like normal heels, and shoe backs are designed to curve in. So where the top of the shoe hits my ankle gets rubbed raw. But I never considered that could be partly due to my right foot being bigger. (It happens to both feet, the heel thing, but it's worse in my right foot. And my right foot gets squished in the toes, too.) In good news, the running shoes I just bought don't seem to be a problem. Though, I suspect it's partly due to the socks I got. They have a rolled top in the back, she said to keep them from falling down, but turns out, it's a great cushion for my ankles, too.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

A friend just pinned a little "fact" that said you need to walk the length of a football field to burn off the calories in one m & m. In my smugness, I looked up all the necessary numbers and put them together for her to prove it wrong (in a friendly, playful way). Felt like board writer again.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

So how far do you have to walk to burn off an m&m? Or, if you'd rather, how many m&ms do you burn off in walking the length of a football field?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Katya wrote:What style of shoes do you usually wear to church, DL?
Flats. Simple flats. It's also compounded by the fact that my heel doesn't curve in at the ankle like normal heels, and shoe backs are designed to curve in. So where the top of the shoe hits my ankle gets rubbed raw. But I never considered that could be partly due to my right foot being bigger. (It happens to both feet, the heel thing, but it's worse in my right foot. And my right foot gets squished in the toes, too.) In good news, the running shoes I just bought don't seem to be a problem. Though, I suspect it's partly due to the socks I got. They have a rolled top in the back, she said to keep them from falling down, but turns out, it's a great cushion for my ankles, too.
You could do mules or sandals in the summer, easy. With mules, the heel problem doesn't apply, and so long as your feet are about the same width, they should stay on. With sandals, they come in so many styles that you can find one that doesn't rely on fitting your heel or that has multiple adjustment points, so you can put them on tighter for your foot that's smaller, if necessary. And slingbacks might work, too, if you could take one of them apart to fit your smaller foot. (Or maybe pad it somehow?)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. Apparently, the Soup Nazi episode is inspired by a real place in NYC, and Jerry Seinfeld is banned there. If I ever in my life go to NYC, I hope I remember to try the soup at that place (and follow the rules perfectly).

No soup for you, Jerry! :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.