Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Indefinite Integral

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Quote from my institute class today:
Girl: I'm positive that there have been more deaths from 9/11 and the war in Iraq than from the civil war and world war II put together.
Me: *facepalm*

They're not always that bad, but some of the comments today made me realize how much more open-minded/understanding of other people's viewpoints I have become since I started interacting with you guys. .
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

In a few hours, my mom will be getting a shiny brand new kidney...okay, maybe it's used, but it's still exciting!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I.I., are you telling us that something so foolish would be dared uttered here?!

Blasphemy! You may have as radical of a viewpoint as you like here, but I insist that it be backed by actual evidence, not fake evidence.
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Digit wrote:
Imogen wrote:back from the bahamas and now enjoying time at universal studios. universal rocks!
I hear that I really missed out not trying the Butter Beer in Harry Potter Land. I did go on the ride in the big castle building and that was fun. Another good one is the thing where Christopher Walken is Frank Kinkade leading you through the production of his B-movie, ending with you in a little subway shaking and crashing with flames shooting at you. We didn't know it was going to be quite so scary and had our daughter along, who was four at the time. If she wasn't fine five minutes after getting out of there I'd feel worse about laughing at her bulgy-eyed expression.
butter beer was delicious. i went on the disaster ride, but it was broken, so no subway part for us! whatevs! i still had fun!
beautiful, dirty, rich
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Dead Cat, that's awesome!

Quote of the day from my father: "When I close my eyes and push on them, I can see tablecloths."
Indefinite Integral

Marduk, actually, no. I would never put you at that level. I was saying that the closed-mindedly conservative statements that might not have bothered me before were now driving me crazy.

The things were more "the world is so super horrible" and "everything is black and white" and "Taliban=pure evil" things like that. Some of them weren't so one sided but still the narrowness of the viewpoint made me want to cringe and then contradict them. However, I could tell that would most likely start a major debate and I figured it was better not to.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Yeah, I hate it when people are all doom and gloom about life today and how it's so much worse than it was before. Um, what about when Abraham and his wife and Lot (?is that right?) were the only righteous people in a city that got fireballed by angels?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I dreamed that my parents were insisting I was super conservative. *shudder*
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Indefinite Integral

Whistler wrote:Yeah, I hate it when people are all doom and gloom about life today and how it's so much worse than it was before. Um, what about when Abraham and his wife and Lot (?is that right?) were the only righteous people in a city that got fireballed by angels?
Yeah, and the other half of it was talking about the media industry. We already know there's questionable stuff everywhere, can't we just talk about the gospel and setting standards you feel good about and not talk about the degeneration of the media industry? How is that helpful at all?
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Happy Joseph Sm-easter!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

*I* dreamed that a very good friend of mine who I've had a crush on for a few years on and off showed up and was chatting with me, and during the dream I kept telling myself, "He's not part of your life any more. Stop hanging on to something that won't happen, you're just holding yourself back." (for the record, we've had at least two conversations about this situation over the last few years as well). I was both sad and proud of myself when I woke up that my dream self made that choice. Then, late last night he emailed me to say it had been a while and he wants to get together (he's in Provo, I'm in SLC). I'm so torn. We get along so very very well, but I know it's not going to go anywhere . . .
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The past year I've had a lot of dreams where I can't remember I'm married or who I'm married to. Waking up is a relief.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I dreamed that a guy in my ward got his whole family together to serenade me with a string quintet (?) to ask me out on a date. It was awkward. (Also, I was living in my grandparents' house, for some reason.)
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Ha! Katya, that reminds me of another dream I had recently where my great-grandfather and I were getting together to give advice to high school seniors about college life. And for some reason we were all crammed in a bathroom. And my great-grandfather has been dead since I was about 4. (Although he was the valedictorian of BYU in his day- yeah. On that one family line, I am a fourth-generation BYU alumna. That's a little crazy.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Two days ago a 10m asteroid came within 7500 miles of Earth. That's pretty close when you consider that the radius of Earth is a little under 4000 miles. The asteroid passed between us and the moon.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yesterday, for the very first time in my life, I got PAID for writing. I don't think I'm going to be able to make steady enough income for this to be my full-time job, but dang, it's a good feeling.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

congrats! I got paid once for doing improv comedy and it was the best feeling.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Sometimes I see Whistler's name and it's similar enough to my name- or nym, I guess, that I get a little confused.
Also, I am so relieved. My problem roommate called a conference that we just concluded and we thought she was going to get upset with us all for various things, because she's been known to do that, but instead she told us that she's not renewing her contract- which is up at the end of July. It makes me sad that someone wants to leave our house because they don't feel loved and accepted, but she's very needy and something of an energy suck, and the other four of us are, I'm sure, on various levels, very relieved that we won't have to worry about the situation any more. Now to get my good friend from work to move in . . .
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I just repented of a shame that has been weighing down on my soul for months: I finally downloaded Beatles music to my computer. Guess what I'm listening to at work tomorrow? ;)
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I am having chicken cordon bleu and asparagus for breakfast.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.