Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Digit

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Digit »

Rickman Reagan wrote:By Grabthar's Hammer, tear down that wall!
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

"Ronald Reagan: Our new . . . celebrity."
-Snape
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:You have been to L.A., right? ... Right? (Then again, I've never been northeast of Philadelphia.)
That's still pretty northeast. When I was 23, I'd never been to any state east of Colorado.
Having gone to Chicago in '10 and Madison in '12, I filled in my vast swatch stretching from South Dakota to D.C. of unvisited territory. I've never been to the South, either. Had you been abroad by that age?
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I've never been west of Las Vegas, and it's been probably 20 years since I was last noticeably west of St. George. Not counting airplanes and airports, I have only been east of Chicago in the northern hemisphere twice in my life, once in DC and once in Orlando (I traveled by airplane both times). I still have never seen an ocean.
Portia

Post by Portia »

yayfulness wrote:I've never been west of Las Vegas. I still have never seen an ocean.
O_o
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:
Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:You have been to L.A., right? ... Right? (Then again, I've never been northeast of Philadelphia.)
That's still pretty northeast. When I was 23, I'd never been to any state east of Colorado.
Having gone to Chicago in '10 and Madison in '12, I filled in my vast swatch stretching from South Dakota to D.C. of unvisited territory. I've never been to the South, either. Had you been abroad by that age?
Twice to Canada. (Once when I was five and once when I was a baby, which I don't remember, but it's the more notable trip because my grandfather flew the plane.) And both of those trips were to Winnipeg, which is, to be fair, east of Colorado (which is why I had to specify any state east of Colorado ;)).
Portia

Post by Portia »

I think I'd get at least 80-90% on a fill-in-the-provinces test, but I think my intuition of how far west or east they are compared to U.S. states is shaky at best. Even worse for South America. (I have a 100% knowledge of where the countries are relative to each other, and even their capitals, thank you 6th grade geography, but I am always surprised how far east the continent is relative to the U.S.)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I know all the western states, but anything east of Wyoming is just "east" to me.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:Anything east of Wyoming is just "east" to me.
Having been born in Wyoming, I may need a tee shirt with this, Zed!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:
Imogen wrote:
krebscout wrote:Where are you going on your train ride? Los Angeles, by chance?
Sadly, no. The plan is to do a bunch of north eastern cities.
You have been to L.A., right? ... Right? (Then again, I've never been northeast of Philadelphia.)
i went when i was very young. i do need to go back and check out the whole "Tehrangeles" thing.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

You all should take this surprisingly difficult quiz where you have to resize and rotate the states, then place them where they belong with nothing to go off of except rivers and the US border: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geo ... _1024.html

It turns out I'm very bad at recognizing states by their shape when they're not oriented up and down.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I got 31/50, and at least a couple of them I started dragging and let go at not the right place. So I can't feel too bad.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

44/50, but this is the third or fourth time I've played that game this week.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I got 19 on my first try, although there were a few where I just had the size wrong.

I didn't even know some of those states existed, so...haha
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Zedability wrote:I got 19 on my first try, although there were a few where I just had the size wrong.

I didn't even know some of those states existed, so...haha
Which ones? (I'm curious to know which states loom largest in the Canadian imagination.)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

No, it was mostly that they were too small. I was so used to doing the Eastern states that the western states (which I KNOW, dangit!) looked wrong.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Gotcha.

In other news: 11/13 on this quiz (although one of the ones I got wrong was a size issue): http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/canada_ ... _drag.html
Portia

Post by Portia »

44/50 on my first try. I attribute this to a puzzle I played as a kid.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:Gotcha.

In other news: 11/13 on this quiz (although one of the ones I got wrong was a size issue): http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/canada_ ... _drag.html
Also 11/13. This was a lot more shape-matching.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

45/50 on the US one, because I got the size wrong on Nebraska and mixed up the orientation of some of the eastern states. 11/13 for Canada, because after a certain lack of size, it's just impossible to tell whether Prince Edward Island is still too big or not, and I put Saskatchewan upside down.