Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:I think this year's Nobel Prize in medicine was related to the work of making adult stem cells, which is good.
Cool. Any articles I should check out about the research?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Portia wrote:
Digit wrote:I think this year's Nobel Prize in medicine was related to the work of making adult stem cells, which is good.
Cool. Any articles I should check out about the research?
This is the closest thing I can find to the horse's mouth. I read that Sir John B. Gurdon, one of the laureates, was told by a teacher that he could never be a scientist. Showed that guy ;)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Speaking of cancer research, Tom Thumb (grocery store -- I think it's a regional thing) is running a promotion where if you buy $30 in qualifying products, they donate $5 to "a local breast cancer research organization." I thought about asking to talk to the store manager to see if even he/she knew what that meant, cause I doubt it. I hate when cancer research becomes a marketing ploy, or worse, political lobbying. But thank goodness for actual legit research organizations.
Portia

Post by Portia »

What is the word when there is, for instance, music in-world in, say a television show vs background? For instance, in Mad Men, Babylon was played by a band in the show. The music was being produced by and could be heard by the characters. The Infanta was played as background music (and of course would be anachronistic otherwise.) What is the word to distinguish these? I used to know!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

diegetic/nondiegetic
Portia

Post by Portia »

krebscout wrote:diegetic/nondiegetic
Too bad you're in LA, or I would be stopping by with a box of cupcakes right now! THANK YOU.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

You're so welcome.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

There's also supra-diegetic, but that's for musicals.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:There's also supra-diegetic, but that's for musicals.
Explain.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

In musicals people often sing and dance to music that isn't there - it's not diegetic because it's not coming from the world on screen, but they're interacting with it so it's not entirely non-diegetic either. It's sort of hard to define, but we talked about it in a musical film class I took based on The American Film Musical by Rick Altman. Mostly we discussed how genre is defined/determined and the significance of how musicals are structured. It's an interesting book, if a bit wordy, but I can never decide if I agree with Altman or think he's insane.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:In musicals people often sing and dance to music that isn't there - it's not diegetic because it's not coming from the world on screen, but they're interacting with it so it's not entirely non-diegetic either. It's sort of hard to define, but we talked about it in a musical film class I took based on The American Film Musical by Rick Altman. Mostly we discussed how genre is defined/determined and the significance of how musicals are structured. It's an interesting book, if a bit wordy, but I can never decide if I agree with Altman or think he's insane.
Ahh, so that's the concept Enchanted was parodying when everyone starts dancing to "That's How You Know" in Central Park and Robert keeps wondering out loud why everyone is dancing and singing. (Except I guess it starts out with a diegetic steel drum band, but I think it moves onto a supra-diegetic orchestral accompaniment.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I sometimes really wish that the whole people wanting to date you because you're going to be a doctor thing worked for girls as much as it seems to work for guys. :(
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:I sometimes really wish that the whole people wanting to date you because you're going to be a doctor thing worked for girls as much as it seems to work for guys. :(
:(

Stupid gender roles.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Apparently we just lost our homecoming game. Excuse me while I go cry in a corner. And by "cry in a corner" I mean "do homework for the rest of the day just like I would have if we had won and honestly not really notice the difference."
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote:Apparently we just lost our homecoming game. Excuse me while I go cry in a corner. And by "cry in a corner" I mean "do homework for the rest of the day just like I would have if we had won and honestly not really notice the difference."
Yup. I have to wait for fb or Twitter to tell me how the game went, and even then I'm sometimes not sure.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I've spent 4-5 hours today cleaning, and my apartment STILL looks like a tornado came through. Oh well. Now I'm going to make cookies.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I've lived in Provo almost 10 years now. I made friends, and then they moved away, made new friends, and they moved away, over and over again. I should be making new friends now, I guess, but I'm kind of exhausted by the cycle. And I miss my old friends.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

You could make friends with me. I'm not moving away any time soon.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

UffishThought wrote:I've lived in Provo almost 10 years now. I made friends, and then they moved away, made new friends, and they moved away, over and over again. I should be making new friends now, I guess, but I'm kind of exhausted by the cycle. And I miss my old friends.
You should come hang out with my friends. I'm 23 and the youngest one of the bunch... the rest are 25-30ish. And smart. And single.

I'm serious... PM me and I'll make sure you're invited to our next event!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I miss my old friends, too. I'm still riding the high of having seen you and everybody in May.