Learned Optimism Test

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Yarjka

Re: Learned Optimism Test

Post by Yarjka »

I'm very pessimistic and I couldn't agree more.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

My scores ranged from average to very pessimistic. Sounds about right to me.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I have a degree in psychology and I have something to say!

Taking this test, it seemed more to measure internal/external locus of control. There's a bit more research on the "locus of control" idea, because it's easier to describe/measure. I think that many people in this forum have an internal locus of control - they blame themselves for things whether they are good or not (though it is more common to attribute external control to bad things). Of course, it's on a continuum, but it makes more sense to me than how this test is broken down. Anyway, it's kinda interesting, and wikipedia has a pretty good article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locus_of_control
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I have a degree in psychology and I agree with Whistler!

The whole time I was taking the test, I was thinking about my Psych 304 class and I kept trying to identify the construct...locus of control seemed like the closest fit for most of those questions.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

I'm moderately pessimistic+average+moderately optimistic+very pessimistic+average+moderate self-esteem+very pessimistic+average+great pessimism...which somehow equals very pessimistic? In my defense, it was a stupid test!!!! Not my fault that the test maker wasn't competent in werf's field!!!