Dating multiple girls (62580)

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Imogen
Picky Interloper

Re: Dating multiple girls (62580)

Post by Imogen »

my friend travis wooed a girl until he wore her down and now they're dating. so....take that for what you will.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'm just laughing at all of these girls saying "yeah, don't try to woo. It is just wierd" and thinking to myself, "you must all be white. Very white."
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

that's so racist
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Is it racist to recognize different cultural norms? It is much more popular in most western cultures that aren't white (south and central America, Spain, Italy, France, eastern Europe, Oceanic cultures) that the male suitor is expected to vigorously pursue a woman. The whole being turned off by that is, frankly, only found in white culture.
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, maybe if you're attributing something to culture but not race you can make that distinction. I don't believe that the two are the same thing, even though there are correlations between the two.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Does "Hispanic" count as a culture or a race?
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Whistler wrote:that's so racist
I read this post to the tune of "That's So Raven."
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

I'm pretty sure that if someone came along and read the titles of threads and then the last page of each respective thread, there would be little to no relation between the two. Just saying. Anyhow, on with the discussion about racism...?
<insert smarmy quote here>
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Marduk wrote:Is it racist to recognize different cultural norms? It is much more popular in most western cultures that aren't white (south and central America, Spain, Italy, France, eastern Europe, Oceanic cultures) that the male suitor is expected to vigorously pursue a woman. The whole being turned off by that is, frankly, only found in white culture.
Mr. Mico is eastern European and SERIOUSLY fits this description you just gave. Even before a few of his early BYU crushes found out he wasn't LDS they were a little creeped out because he just showered them with gifts and asked them on dates and all that which isn't entirely normal here. I was really confused when we first started dating, too. Anyway, just vouching for Marduk's description. I wouldn't really say it is racist, just an observation.

[edit] But maybe instead of "white girls" he could say "U.S. girls" or something that is a little less... off-putting.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i would't mind being wooed. i think it's what has been seriously lacking in my relationships. take that for what you will.
beautiful, dirty, rich
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Imogen wrote:i would't mind being wooed. i think it's what has been seriously lacking in my relationships. take that for what you will.
There's nothing wrong with wooing a girl -- within the context of a relationship. It's the early dating stages where it becomes a problem. For example, buying a dozen roses for a girl on the first date and taking her to a really expensive restaurant. That's called trying too hard, and you're bound to come across too strongly. But if you've already been dating someone for a while, the same gesture is considered sweet and kind. That's the difference.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Imogen wrote:i would't mind being wooed. i think it's what has been seriously lacking in my relationships. take that for what you will.
I wouldn't mind wooing Imogen. Take that for what you will.
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

thebigcheese wrote:
There's nothing wrong with wooing a girl -- within the context of a relationship. It's the early dating stages where it becomes a problem. For example, buying a dozen roses for a girl on the first date and taking her to a really expensive restaurant. That's called trying too hard, and you're bound to come across too strongly. But if you've already been dating someone for a while, the same gesture is considered sweet and kind. That's the difference.

i disagree, but that's just me. of course, i've never been on a real date, so who knows how'd i feel about that if it really happened. but i'd be very flattered.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Marduk wrote:
I wouldn't mind wooing Imogen. Take that for what you will.

:lol: you're funny.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Imogen wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:There's nothing wrong with wooing a girl -- within the context of a relationship. It's the early dating stages where it becomes a problem. For example, buying a dozen roses for a girl on the first date and taking her to a really expensive restaurant. That's called trying too hard, and you're bound to come across too strongly. But if you've already been dating someone for a while, the same gesture is considered sweet and kind. That's the difference.

i disagree, but that's just me. of course, i've never been on a real date, so who knows how'd i feel about that if it really happened. but i'd be very flattered.
Huh. From some of your past posts it sounded like you'd been in relationships before...maybe I was mistaken? What are you counting as a real date?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Laser Jock wrote:
Imogen wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:There's nothing wrong with wooing a girl -- within the context of a relationship. It's the early dating stages where it becomes a problem. For example, buying a dozen roses for a girl on the first date and taking her to a really expensive restaurant. That's called trying too hard, and you're bound to come across too strongly. But if you've already been dating someone for a while, the same gesture is considered sweet and kind. That's the difference.

Huh. From some of your past posts it sounded like you'd been in relationships before...maybe I was mistaken? What are you counting as a real date?
i've been in relationships, but they grew out of friendships. i was very close friends with all but 1 of my boyfriends before we were a couple. i've never casually dated someone like "hey you seem interesting. let's go to dinner or whatever date-like activity people do and see if we like each other." i've been on dates with my boyfriends, but it's not the same to me since we already knew each other.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

eh, with the racist comment I meant it to be funny, it was taken seriously, so I decided to go along with it rather than explain myself
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Whistler wrote:eh, with the racist comment I meant it to be funny, it was taken seriously, so I decided to go along with it rather than explain myself
No offense Whistler, but you are the most deadpan person I've ever known, and that goes doubly so for text. Combine that with the fact that I've been called a racist more times than I can count, and it means I had to take it seriously, whether you were serious or not.
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

does deadpan mean you can't tell when I'm trying to be funny?

Anyway. You can call us all honkies as long as we can call you something similarly funny/offensive. hahaha
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I wouldn't mind if somebody started calling me cracka. :)