73862 - When folks' choices make you sad

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

Re: 73862 - When folks' choices make you sad

Post by mic0 »

NerdGirl, your family sounds great! My family was very understanding of my disbelief, in ways that sound like how your family reacted, and it made things much easier.

Also, thanks for making that nice distinction at the end about "things we don't do because we have very specific beliefs about them (but a lot of people without our beliefs do those things) and things that we don't do because they are bad and destructive."
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: 73862 - When folks' choices make you sad

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:The thing I see a lot, though, is that LDS people sometimes have a hard time differentiating between things we don't do because we have very specific beliefs about them (but a lot of people without our beliefs do those things) and things that we don't do because they are bad and destructive.
Yes. This. (Also, I think this is exacerbated in situations where people only have LDS friends or relatives, because then they never get to see what the range of "good" non-Mormon behavior looks like.)