Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

yayfulness
Board Writer

Re: Answers I liked

Post by yayfulness »

It's something I should have thought about a lot this summer. It hasn't been until the past few days that I've finally started to think about how all the unpleasant elements of my life right now might somehow be for my good, though.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

TBC are you Canadian???? You said grade 5 in that answer!! <3
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Hahaha, I try to avoid Canadian-isms when I'm writing for Americans, but I always forget about that one :) Yeah, I'm Canadian, I think I mention it like every other answer haha.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Canadian-isms, eh?
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Right, because I've never heard that one before. Haha
Giovanni Schwartz

What are yoo talking aboot? I doon't make lame Canada jokes!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

You know, I have tons of equivalent American jokes I could make, but nobody ever understands them, because they don't realize it's a stereotype of Americans, they just think it's the way "normal people do it." Haha
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

BayesianConspiracy wrote:You know, I have tons of equivalent American jokes I could make, but nobody ever understands them, because they don't realize it's a stereotype of Americans, they just think it's the way "normal people do it." Haha
"Americans! They say "zee" and have paper $1 bills! Amirite? . . . Hello? . . . Is this thing on?"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

(Also, for the record, Canadians do not say "aboot." For Canadians who raise that vowel (which is not all of them), it's a vowel that Americans don't have, phonetically located between American "about" and "aboot.")

(Also also, I feel like there might be an east-west difference between the location of the raised vowel, like maybe one is farther back, but I've never been able to pin that down.)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

It sounds more like "aboat", and you only hear it in the Maritimes or from old people in Ontario.

Whenever anyone says "So you're Canadian, *eh*?", I'm always tempted to say "So you're American, *huh*?". But apparently Americans don't know that up in Canada, the American/huh stereotype is the equivalent of the Canadian/eh stereotype here.

Eh is also more of an Eastern thing. In the West, people tend to say "hey", and they don't say it as often. Funny story about "eh/hey", when I was growing up I always thought "That's such a stupid stereotype, nobody says eh." Then I went to Provo, and when I came back at Christmas, suddenly everyone was saying eh! I'd never noticed it before! The funny thing is, even they didn't notice they were saying it. I'd be like, "You just said eh!" "No I didn't!" "Yes, you did, I heard you."
Giovanni Schwartz

Haha. Sorry for trolling, you, though. That was immature.

P.S. I just reread Bacon Ice Cream. Couldn't stop laughing. Props to Uffish Thought, once again.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Haha. Fortunately, I'm used to it. I've just had to come up wtih more creative ways to troll the Americans I know.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Canadians are fun. And I, a Californian born and raised Canadian, use Eh all the time. Although I'm not sure where I picked it up. My French Canadian dad doesn't use it, and most of my eastern Canadian relatives don't either.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

One time when I was at BYU I told someone I was from Canada and she asked me (completely seriously) if that was in Idaho.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

One time, I told someone that Canada stands for "Communist Anti-North American Defense Association" and told them Canada doesn't exist; it was just a practical joke the Soviets played on the Americans during the Cold War. They believed me at first. Thinking Canada's in Idaho doesn't even surprise me anymore.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Haha. Sorry for trolling, you, though. That was immature.

P.S. I just reread Bacon Ice Cream. Couldn't stop laughing. Props to Uffish Thought, once again.
Oh man, the memories! I think she separated out like two dozen eggs to get all the yokes for the base. It tasted so good and custardy before the bacon went in!
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

yayfulness wrote:This question and answer reminded me of this picture.
I liked the answer that TBC gave, especially because I happen to know that even a lot of people who could use therapy think it's a weird thing to do. Pretty much my entire family has depression and/or mental disabilities, and yet they were still all shocked that I decided to start therapy. And then they treated it like something to either never talk about it or to question ("Why would you go to therapy??")

Of course, most of them also think that drugs will cure all, and have not explored any other option for themselves or those under their care. *sigh*
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Whistler wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:P.S. I just reread Bacon Ice Cream. Couldn't stop laughing. Props to Uffish Thought, once again.
Oh man, the memories! I think she separated out like two dozen eggs to get all the yokes for the base. It tasted so good and custardy before the bacon went in!
And it was SO BAD after. Gross. Some great quotes, though! Worth the memories, for sure.
Giovanni Schwartz

My mom uses his nasty comparison for standards, comparing standards to brownies. Basically, if there's only a little bit of badness in the movie/book/song/whatever, she'll say "there's only a little poop in your brownie." I may adapt that to "there's only a little bacon in your ice cream."