Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

So I know many are adverse to calorie-counting, but I signed up for a log because I think it will help me feel healthier and be accountable for what I'm actually eating. I'm not a nutrition nut by any means, but I do want to lose weight, because I managed to gain 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. TWO. My goal is to be back to where I was around Jan 1 by this Thanksgiving: that's only 1 lb/wk, so I think that's sustainable.

And I actually like seeing the chart of what I eat. I need to be higher in protein and vitamins, a little higher in fat, actually, and (shockingly! I know) I'm a little high in carbs. (I looove carbs.)

So yeah, I think this is better than the "starve because you're poor" way of losing weight I experienced in 2010 and 2012.

(And, no, I don't have a bad self-image or hate my body or whatever. I dislike how politicized eating has become. If I want to lose the "vanity pounds," as someone on the board called them, isn't that my business? I guess I don't think my dress size is a part of my "identity.")

Wish me luck! :-)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I don't think there's anything wrong with counting calories as well as you're also getting good nutrition (e.g. if your calorie goal is 1500, you're not just eating 1500 calories worth of doughnuts), which it sounds like you're trying to do. So more power to you! (I'm currently trying to lose a few pounds so I can fit into my pants again because losing weight is cheaper than buying new clothes.)
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I have to say that when it comes to keeping track of what you're eating, I really love the USDA's SuperTracker website.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Good luck, Portia! I think losing or gaining weight for the right reasons is great. The right reasons being those you have: to be healthier and because you want to. :)
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Good luck, Uffish! That sounds like a serious regimen. I think it's been mentioned on here before, but Eirene discovered the same thing about SLS, and that has helped her too. She gets them much less often now than she used to. (She actually just uses an SLS-free toothpaste, which you can get a few places; she gets hers from Trader Joe's, but I'm pretty sure you can find similar stuff online. It might be worth trying instead of only switching once yours get bad.)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I'm beginning my own weight loss journey for the dorkiest reason ever: I want to be sexy when I audition for Monty Python's Spamalot here in my hometown. I WILL BE THE LADY OF THE LAKE!!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

after the organ workshop I have determined that organ shoes make any guy look slightly handsomer. I'm guessing it's the heels (also the classic oxford look and the cuteness of uniforms?).
Portia

Post by Portia »

Got my first calling in about five years. I'm going to be a Relief Society teacher. I think it should be an interesting experience ... I've never had a teaching calling before!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

WHY A FEVER IN AUGUST?!?! I AM SO OVERHEATED!!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I'm RS teacher. I LOVE it. I only have one lesson left before I leave the ward, though. Mostly I'm glad to move on, but I'll be sad to lose my favorite calling.
Portia

Post by Portia »

UffishThought wrote:I'm RS teacher. I LOVE it. I only have one lesson left before I leave the ward, though. Mostly I'm glad to move on, but I'll be sad to lose my favorite calling.
Good to hear. Are you moving within Utah Co?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

WHY ARE GIRLS SO COMPLICATED???
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Because we get bored with life unless we can over analyze EVERYTHING.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:WHY ARE GIRLS SO COMPLICATED???
D: IT'S A CONSPIRACY!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I don't think we're that complicated. I think we're conditioned to think the other sex is complicated when, really, if people would just properly communicate most things we find "complicated" would disappear.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

(1) Because we're socially penalized (by both men and other women) for going about things in a straightforward fashion and (2) because you simply don't have a lot of practice navigating the world from a female perspective. See also my response here.
Imogen wrote:I don't think we're that complicated. I think we're conditioned to think the other sex is complicated when, really, if people would just properly communicate most things we find "complicated" would disappear.
Do girls generally think guys are complicated, though?
Portia

Post by Portia »

I find women to be more "complicated" than men. I think this comes from the fact that I have invested a lot more into my relationships with men, being heterosexual, and that I have socialized primarily with men since I was in grade school.

Men are generally rewarded for being blunt and candid: women generally are not. Navigating feminine social mores does not come easily to me.

I think it would be more apt to say "relationships/friendships are complicated." And in my humble opinion, Gio has some conflicting desires as to what he wants in a woman.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Katya wrote:Do girls generally think guys are complicated, though?
I don't know what girls think, but my impression is that guys think that girls think guys are simple. (I think this also sort of ties into the sitcom stereotype of guys as the bumbling, not-quite-as-smart characters; think Tim Taylor from Home Improvement.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yeah, I feel like the "guys are simple, girls are complicated" thing is more a cultural stereotype than anything else. Sure, my husband is simple when it comes to some things ("more power is always better!!!"), but so am I ("more chocolate is always better!!!!").
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Agreed with everyone. I feel like people are complex (not necessarily "complicated"?).