Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:This.
I never realized they were such a western thing... Or do other places have different brand names they call them?
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

We called them freeze pops (or freeze-y pops) growing up. Which is apparently the midwestern word for them. I don't think I'd heard them called Otter pops until I came to Utah.

ETA: And by Midwest, I meant Great Lakes. Because "midwest" out here means something different than it does in Chicagoland.
Portia

Post by Portia »

T1M, that's exactly what they called them. Not to mention "bomb pops!" Utahns, see if you can guess what those are.

They might have Fla-vor-ice ... But is that really the same??

Also, I knew Dreyer's was Edy's. Not Eddie's ... Ee-dee, apparently.
Last edited by Portia on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

We call them Freezies. It kind of blew my mind when I moved to Utah and people called them Otter Pops. So weird. Almost as weird as my first encounter with fry sauce. We were driving through Idaho, and we stopped at McDonalds, and they asked us if we wanted fry sauce. I thought maybe that was some Idaho way of saying ketchup. Then they gave us little containers of mystery pink stuff. I actually kind of like fry sauce, but we were just like WHAT. IS. THIS.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Crossing the CA border to visit family in the state as a kid, I thought it was funny how serious they were about stopping every car and asking if there were any fruit in the vehicle.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Portia wrote:T1M, that's exactly what they called them. Not to mention "bomb pops!" Utahns, see if you can guess what those are.

It doesn't even look like it should be pronounced E-D, but you are right. :) And oh, bomb pops. My childhood. So what did you guys call the paleta guy? Or was that an "only my neighborhood" thing?
Portia

Post by Portia »

thatonemom wrote:
Portia wrote:T1M, that's exactly what they called them. Not to mention "bomb pops!" Utahns, see if you can guess what those are.

It doesn't even look like it should be pronounced E-D, but you are right. :) And oh, bomb pops. My childhood. So what did you guys call the paleta guy? Or was that an "only my neighborhood" thing?
That ... is yet another TIL moment.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Bomb pops are the red white and blue popsicles, yeah? Those were some of my favorites. Along with the chocolate toffee ice cream bars, but my mom rarely bought them.

And I have no idea what you're referring to with the paleta guy? Ice cream man/truck maybe?
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

The paleta guy is like the ice cream man, but different. He has a little cart he'd push around with bells and he'd sell fudgesicle like popsicles. Only there were lots of flavors.
I know it's not exactly "American" culture, but I thought it was slightly more widespread. Guess not!
Also, if you're ever in an area where you could buy a paleta, you should get a corn on the cob from the corn man.

Welcome to the Midwest/Great Lakes, btw, Portia. Food is a big deal there.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Paletas are my favorite! (Assuming we're talking Mexican fruit popsicles) There's a paleta store near the temple here that is incredible. If any of you are ever in town, contact me and I'll take you over there.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Paletas are my favorite! (Assuming we're talking Mexican fruit popsicles) There's a paleta store near the temple here that is incredible. If any of you are ever in town, contact me and I'll take you over there.
Done.
Portia

Post by Portia »

thatonemom wrote:The paleta guy is like the ice cream man, but different. He has a little cart he'd push around with bells and he'd sell fudgesicle like popsicles. Only there were lots of flavors.
I know it's not exactly "American" culture, but I thought it was slightly more widespread. Guess not!
Also, if you're ever in an area where you could buy a paleta, you should get a corn on the cob from the corn man.

Welcome to the Midwest/Great Lakes, btw, Portia. Food is a big deal there.
So my waistline has found. :-|
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

elote is much better in cup form. Just sayin'.
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Marduk wrote:elote is much better in cup form. Just sayin'.

so true. we have a flea market that sells it outside, and i looooooooooooooooooove it. corn cup with mayo, cheese, lime, and some lemon pepper while i shop for cheap junk? yes, please.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I'm pretending to have watched TMNT to help me writing an introduction for a short essay on Michelangelo. My excuse? I've got a cold, I'm exhausted, it's 11:30, and what the heck, why not?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Decided to move back West early next fall. Told the Boyfriend.

Instantly felt less anxiety, happier, and even more motivated.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Marduk, have you found elote locally? This would make my day.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Ooh! Found another thing that perhaps Vorpal and I will agree on. Namely, that this use of the term "fiancé/e" is a joke.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I did some pondering on that subject back when I was still living and home and my mother was complaining about how much time I was spending with Marduk. To her, someone I merely called "boyfriend" was not deserving of or could even possibly want that much time together. I did not, however, come up with a more suitable term, and eventually decided that I was allowed to have whatever relationship I wanted no matter what other people would assume by the term "boyfriend."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.