Making out and its ramifications

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

krebscout

Re: Making out and its ramifications

Post by krebscout »

That makes a lot of sense, and I would say that's a good, solid reason. I'm always looking at it through my parenting goggles, too. And the only times I give my children "commandments" without good cause is when I'm at the end of my rope and don't want to try to hash it out. I wouldn't be too surprised if God felt like that, except he's supposed to be a lot more patient than I am.
Portia

Post by Portia »

To address the original question, werfity werf werf fell for a player, the girlfriend got used and cheated on, and www holds delusions that Player has feelings for anyone but himself. Having been the vertex of a love triangle myself, that's what makes Kirke's answer silly: infidelity is an issue of selfishness more than lust. He plotted cheating with Werf long before they locked lips. As a writer and since, I've always been able to envision the askers, fellow writers, and message Boardeaux as deeply realized humans. It frustrates me that the guy is clearly a douche but that I can hardly claim superiority.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Not that I think we should keep discussing making-out (for the record, I like making out - oftentimes, more than sex (TMI?? :P)), but I did want to point out something interesting. Some of you may have seen this before: Board Question #41277. It has some quotes about the early Honor Code and how different things have changed, such as views on, yes, making out!! My favorite quotes:

"Early BYU undergraduates were surprisingly more carefree in their public discussions of intimacy than their modern counterparts. Lapses may have been permissible in a given peer group, but there was no encouragement of sexual experimentation on an official level. One 1929 student expressed his appreciation for what he had learned at BYU, unintentionally revealing the dichotomy of attitudes at the school. He wrote that BYU had taught him to "live within the bounds of moral honesty and yet live shorn of the suffocating cloaks of false modesty and pretenses. I have fun with the girls: love them, kiss them, pet them; they have the same fun with me. But,' he concluded, 'I remember they are somebody's sisters. . . . I will have no double standard.'"

"In terms of the moral issues facing a religious university, few aspects of student behavior have been as problematic as sexual conduct. Nevertheless, Christensen's and Cannon's longitudinal study revealed a remarkable decrease in acceptance of premarital sexual activity by BYU students over the nearly forty years surveyed. Whereas, in 1935, 73 percent of the student body had approved of premarital "necking," 14 percent of pre-marital "petting," and 7 percent of pre-marital intercourse (a 1954 administrative study estimated that 14 percent had participated in premarital intercourse), by 1973 these figures had dropped to 48 percent for necking, 4 percent for petting, and a mere 1 percent for premarital intercourse."

A lot of writers contributed to that, even some who frequent this very forum. It's an enlightening read! :)
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I love the word "necking" - it's so incredibly vague. I always picture people rubbing their necks together and moaning. Too funny.

And those percentage drops with petting and pre-marital sex are really interesting. I wonder how much/if those numbers have changed since 1973...
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I totally picture the same thing you do for necking. Hahaha
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I totally picture the same thing you do for necking. Hahaha
Me too :)
And petting always makes me think of a petting zoo.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I picture more of a guy petting a girl's thigh or something.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Not that I think we should keep discussing making-out (for the record, I like making out - oftentimes, more than sex (TMI?? :P)), but I did want to point out something interesting. Some of you may have seen this before: Board Question #41277. It has some quotes about the early Honor Code and how different things have changed, such as views on, yes, making out!! My favorite quotes:

"Early BYU undergraduates were surprisingly more carefree in their public discussions of intimacy than their modern counterparts. Lapses may have been permissible in a given peer group, but there was no encouragement of sexual experimentation on an official level. One 1929 student expressed his appreciation for what he had learned at BYU, unintentionally revealing the dichotomy of attitudes at the school. He wrote that BYU had taught him to "live within the bounds of moral honesty and yet live shorn of the suffocating cloaks of false modesty and pretenses. I have fun with the girls: love them, kiss them, pet them; they have the same fun with me. But,' he concluded, 'I remember they are somebody's sisters. . . . I will have no double standard.'"

"In terms of the moral issues facing a religious university, few aspects of student behavior have been as problematic as sexual conduct. Nevertheless, Christensen's and Cannon's longitudinal study revealed a remarkable decrease in acceptance of premarital sexual activity by BYU students over the nearly forty years surveyed. Whereas, in 1935, 73 percent of the student body had approved of premarital "necking," 14 percent of pre-marital "petting," and 7 percent of pre-marital intercourse (a 1954 administrative study estimated that 14 percent had participated in premarital intercourse), by 1973 these figures had dropped to 48 percent for necking, 4 percent for petting, and a mere 1 percent for premarital intercourse."

A lot of writers contributed to that, even some who frequent this very forum. It's an enlightening read! :)
I am always in favor of new readers being directed to my pièce de résistance. I think it was my best answer, hands down.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:I love the word "necking" - it's so incredibly vague. I always picture people rubbing their necks together and moaning. Too funny.
No, I'm pretty sure this is necking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynhF2wV ... re=related
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

UffishThought wrote:
UnluckyStuntman wrote:I love the word "necking" - it's so incredibly vague. I always picture people rubbing their necks together and moaning. Too funny.
No, I'm pretty sure this is necking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynhF2wV ... re=related
My reaction: Woah. Those animals really exist. That is weird.

Funny how something you've known your entire life can suddenly seem crazy.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I picture more of a guy petting a girl's thigh or something.
I pet and neck with the girls in my ward all the time. It's not creepy, I swear.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Craig Jessop wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I picture more of a guy petting a girl's thigh or something.
I pet and neck with the girls in my ward all the time. It's not creepy, I swear.
Just keep it to one at a time, Craig.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

UffishThought wrote:
...so that must be where hickies come from.