Classes?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yikes! Come on here, people. Reading comprehension skills need some work here. And you people are all still in school, so that actually still matters.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I actually didn't do marching band in college because of the whole football aspect. I *loved* it in high school, because we performed at one football game all season. Our main focus was all the competitions. And also, everyone in my ward has been going around singing "Indiana Jones" ever since band camp when we heard the tune being rehearsed all day.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I actually didn't do marching band in college because of the whole football aspect.
I heard a lot of people say that they were miffed we didn't compete. That always baffled me, because my high school did exactly what BYU's band did- learn as many new routines as possible to play at the games. The ones that stayed the same (pregame) bored the daylights out of me, so I thought I would lose my mind if I had just ONE performance to work on that much! But, I have never tried it. And you never tried the "new routine every couple of weeks" bit. So who knows what each of us would have actually perferred? They kept trying to make a Winter Guard, but it never flew.

As a side note, the "football" aspect was my absolute favorite part. The band has so much fun in the stands at games! I still say those were the best seats in the house, and they were "free" (not counting a huge amount of donated time). I loved cheering on the team with music. Not to mention we traveled to some games in Vegas and Bowl Games, so that rocked.
I mean, let's face it: marching bands are kind of futile.
If you look at it, a lot of the things we do are just as futile. Like all the sports no one attends on campus. Or me cleaning up the toys that my son is going to play with again tomorrow. I'm glad you like doing it anyway. Oh, and if no one else is watching in the stands, don't worry. I'm watching intently, and cringing when the flags mess up.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Fredjikrang wrote:
Portia wrote:None.
I think I may hate you. ;)
I think your envy was more warranted when I had money, and was going to graduate so young.

Alas, it was buying books or being homeless. Blah.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

So are you just taking a semester off?
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

The only class I'm taking at the moment is PWS 699R. The only assignments for the class are to turn in a 60+ page paper called a thesis and take one oral exam consisting of explaining two years of research followed by close interrogation by three professors.

I feel bad for all you poor saps who have more than two credits. :)
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Wisteria wrote:The only class I'm taking at the moment is PWS 699R. The only assignments for the class are to turn in a 60+ page paper called a thesis and take one oral exam consisting of explaining two years of research followed by close interrogation by three professors.

I feel bad for all you poor saps who have more than two credits. :)
Oh, and I'm so jealous of your one class.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I have THREE credits, and it's photography and we talk about how pictures make us feel instead of actually taking them. Not my most productive or intense of classes (I should have taken this during the dramatic semester of last fall and done Chinese this year instead. It would have been better suited for my grades, in any case).

Also I have a girl in my class who sometimes sits next to me and has no idea who Al Gore is. Yeah, that's how cool it is.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Chilly, the Al Gore reference made me laugh. How did that come up? Were you discussing how pictures of Gore made you feel?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Eh. It's chilly. You just don't bother asking. ; D
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

Wisteria wrote:Chilly, the Al Gore reference made me laugh. How did that come up? Were you discussing how pictures of Gore made you feel?
We WERE! Actually, it was him standing on a platform with flags waving behind him and big rolling clouds coming in as his hand was up and he was talking into a mic and the girl was *convinced* he was a singer and it was a rock concert but had never heard of Al Gore, so what did he sing? It was totally, totally awesome. It all made me feel rather disbelieving while amused. Great combination.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Eh. It's chilly. You just don't bother asking. ; D
Jerk (o:
Portia

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:300-level English class, beg. acting class, voice lessons, D&C, Music 201, and Spanish.

In related news, I'm going to change my major, something I have not done since my junior year in high school.
Wacky Provo school system . . . do you srsly have majors in high school here?
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Yeah, so it turns out that my two credit hours are kind of driving me crazy. If I can just make it three more weeks . . .
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Wisteria wrote:Yeah, so it turns out that my two credit hours are kind of driving me crazy. If I can just make it three more weeks . . .
It's a block class?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

No, it's research credit hours. Once I defend my thesis I pass. Technically, that can happen at any time during the semester. Since I'll be ready in a couple of weeks, I see no point in prolonging the misery until December. :?
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Wisteria wrote:No, it's research credit hours. Once I defend my thesis I pass. Technically, that can happen at any time during the semester. Since I'll be ready in a couple of weeks, I see no point in prolonging the misery until December. :?
So you're graduating then?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Yep. :D
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Portia wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:300-level English class, beg. acting class, voice lessons, D&C, Music 201, and Spanish.

In related news, I'm going to change my major, something I have not done since my junior year in high school.
Wacky Provo school system . . . do you srsly have majors in high school here?
No. That's just when I decided what I wanted to do.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I decided what I'm going to do. Fairly recently, in fact.