Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Tally M.

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Tally M. »

I'm thinking about going to a foreign university to do a masters program, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost when I'm not entirely sure where I could do what I want to do. It was easier to justify doing a Master's here at BYU without a complete end goal because it's less expensive, but this could be a really good opportunity...
mic0

Post by mic0 »

DO IT DO IT! That sounds like so much fun!

(That was my not so secret dream before marrying someone who is trying to get a green card.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:I'm thinking about going to a foreign university to do a masters program, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost when I'm not entirely sure where I could do what I want to do. It was easier to justify doing a Master's here at BYU without a complete end goal because it's less expensive, but this could be a really good opportunity...
I agree that it could be a really good opportunity for someone in your area of study, but I agree that the cost is a drawback. If I were faced with that choice, I'd start doing research. :) (But then, that's my answer to everything.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Tally M. wrote:I'm thinking about going to a foreign university to do a masters program, but I'm having trouble justifying the cost when I'm not entirely sure where I could do what I want to do. It was easier to justify doing a Master's here at BYU without a complete end goal because it's less expensive, but this could be a really good opportunity...
I agree that it could be a really good opportunity for someone in your area of study, but I agree that the cost is a drawback. If I were faced with that choice, I'd start doing research. :) (But then, that's my answer to everything.)
:D That's applicable to a lot of us Boardies.

I would be concerned about the applicability of the degree here in the U.S., although I see the draw for linguists.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yes, do research on it. And then apply to some schools in the U.S. and out, just to keep your options open.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I once applied to universities in England and Scotland through UCAS and got an unconditional offer of place at the University of Manchester. I never got the necessary funds lined up to make it happen, but I still have the acceptance letter :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

As a high-schooler my sister told my dad she wanted to go to college in Switzerland. He told her it would be cheaper to put her to sleep.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

The issue with the cost isn't tuition--there's only a fee of about $200 to join the required student union--but it's the fact that if you're coming from out of country you need proof that you have access to at least about $10,000 a year for living expenses, etc.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

see if they have graduate fellowships--many American universities do (for example, when I was in BYU's English MA program, almost all of us taught English composition, which paid our tuitions).
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Well, my 5 weeks as a longterm sub are over. It was wonderful, and I'm going to miss the crap out of those kids. Hopefully I'll get some other sub jobs at that school, just so I can see a few of them.

I've got a good shot at another longterm sub job starting in a couple of months. Hopefully it works out and I can get it, because it's so, so much better when I get to know the kids a little and can actually teach. Regular subbing is just babysitting with kids old enough to lie more convincingly.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Guys my friends are so fun.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I HAVE MY LAPTOP BACK AND HAVE RETURNED TO MY ONLINE LIFE!!!

Too bad everything got deleted from it, including Microsoft Office....ugh.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I am fully supportive of Office 365. That way, I can use any computer to deauthorize it, and install it on another computer. For example, when my computer crashed (because of my own efforts), I was able to just reinstall it for free from the Office website. Also, you get free upgrades as long as you keep up the subscription, which ends up being cheaper than just buying the new version every time according to one website I read.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I am fully supportive of Open Office and Google drive. Screw paying money for word processors.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Problem is, she also needs PowerPoint/Keynote. They don't have that on Google Drive anyway. Do they have it with Open Office?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Looks like OpenOffice Impress can open and work with .ppt files and be saved back in that format. source
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Google Drive is all well and good, but despite my love of Prezi I find it too time consuming to use for most of the presentations I need to make in class, and my students use my laptop to project their Powerpoints for presentations. So I NEED Office, now that I think it more fully. I know I can write off the cost on my taxes since it's for work, but getting the $140 bucks for it is tough at the moment.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Amity

Post by Amity »

Try this instead: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home. ... ntry_id=US

It gives you the full suite of Office programs for only $10. I've been using it for several months now and it's legit.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I will be so happy when this month is over and my life settles down to just normal busy.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Amity wrote:Try this instead: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home. ... ntry_id=US

It gives you the full suite of Office programs for only $10. I've been using it for several months now and it's legit.
Doesn't work for me....looks like one of my parents is going to be buying me Microsoft Office!
beautiful, dirty, rich