Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:Do people still send thank you emails after interviews? I feel silly doing it, but I did it anyway. :P
Based on my experience on search committees, they're not common, but I still think they're a nice gesture.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Thanks, Katya! Hopefully the people I emailed feel the same as you do.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Alright team, would you consider the word "lackluster" slang? Because my small group communication professor apparently does, and docked me points for it. \

She also took off points for starting a sentence with "This," saying "What is 'this' referring to?" when she would have known if she had READ THE PREVIOUS SENTENCE THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT "This" WAS REFERRING TO BECAUSE IT WAS TOO LONG TO PUT IN AS A SUBJECT OF A SENTENCE.

#bitter
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hmmm, I think "lackluster" doesn't sound professional, at the very least.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Does it help if I spell it lacklustre? /s

Also, it's really hard to write without saying "This" to elaborate on the previous sentence. As a result, I'm basically babbling a lot trying to come up with alternate ways to say it.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:She also took off points for starting a sentence with "This," saying "What is 'this' referring to?"
Was that her exact question? Because if so, she ended a sentence with a preposition! :o

#pedantry
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Does it help if I spell it lacklustre? /s

Also, it's really hard to write without saying "This" to elaborate on the previous sentence. As a result, I'm basically babbling a lot trying to come up with alternate ways to say it.
Perhaps "this idea" or "this example"? (depending on the context)
Digit

Post by Digit »

I just now accidentally learned that pressing the spacebar pages down in a browser. I wonder how long most browsers have done that, since always?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Digit wrote:I just now accidentally learned that pressing the spacebar pages down in a browser. I wonder how long most browsers have done that, since always?
Hey, I didn't know that! I just tried it out, and sho nuff, it worked. Then I experimented and found that shift+space pages up!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

It's done that ever since I can remember, so it's been around for a while.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The one I always use is Alt+d to get the cursor in the address bar.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Ctrl+Enter puts in the www. and .com in the address bar so you don't have to.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Portia

Post by Portia »

Vienna's Zac Efron crush made me look up his age. He's exactly my age, 27! I don't know what to think. I thought he was much younger. Crush on.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

haha. He does have a baby face, and his association with High School Musical makes me think of him as young. I'm not sure if I've seen him in anything where he wasn't playing a high school student, come to think of it.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:haha. He does have a baby face, and his association with High School Musical makes me think of him as young. I'm not sure if I've seen him in anything where he wasn't playing a high school student, come to think of it.
In "Neighbors," he plays a frat boy, so probably about 21. That came out within the past year or two.

Apparently I'm much more attracted to (somewhat) older men (Michael Fassbender is my kryptonite.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My grandpa gave me some (older) skiis, but they don't have the boots that click into them. Are skii clicking mechanisms pretty standardized, or are they useless without the matching boots?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

huh, maybe I should just get rid of them ;;; http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index. ... ots.15802/
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

You can get the bindings on the skis adjusted to fit the boots you have. I would go to a ski shop and see what they say about adjusting them. I just bought some used skis that are from the 90s but are in really good condition and the bindings were able to be adjusted for some boots I rented for the day.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Digit

Post by Digit »

My three-year-old is rather punctilious. The other day, his show ended on Netflix and he wanted to start the next one on the Roku. He couldn't find the Roku remote, so he went and grabbed my wife's phone, which was open on the Facebook app. He exited that, scrolled a few pages to the Roku app, opened it, started his show, and then closed out and went back and opened the Facebook app as it was before he picked it up.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Shrinky Dink wrote:You can get the bindings on the skis adjusted to fit the boots you have. I would go to a ski shop and see what they say about adjusting them. I just bought some used skis that are from the 90s but are in really good condition and the bindings were able to be adjusted for some boots I rented for the day.
hmmm, okay. You're not worried about the materials on the skis being deteriorated because of their age?