Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

You linguists might appreciate this article about the top 10 relationship words that can't be translated into English.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

127 Hours. I was really with how Danny Boyle handled the subject material, since 5 days of someone trapped in a canyon by himself doesn't seem like it would make for an interesting film.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:You linguists might appreciate this article about the top 10 relationship words that can't be translated into English.
Whenever I read an article like that, I wonder how common those words are in their respective languages. Like, are those words that people use every day? (And do they thus pose a frequent challenge for translators?) Or are they once-in-a-while words that pose a similarly infrequent translation challenge?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Mark of Athena is out and on my nook!!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Digit

Post by Digit »

The Geekiest License Plates of All Time. Ha. Cthulhu on a "Kids First" license plate.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Mad Men Season 5 is coming in the mail. I don't have time for TV, so maybe this can be a fun way to pass the cold, snowy, work holidays.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Portia wrote:Mad Men Season 5 is coming in the mail. I don't have time for TV, so maybe this can be a fun way to pass the cold, snowy, work holidays.
I'm going to download it on my iPad and watch it on my long plane journeys this winter.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I just started watching Heroes. It's addicting....
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

We're having a lot of fun rewatching Jeeves and Wooster. Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are amazing.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm re-reading the entire Wheel of Time series with Sky Bones, Maven and Laser Jock before the last book comes out. (Apologies if one of them has already said this.) I was falling way behind in reading, so I decided to get Audible and am buying all the books and listening to them. I was toying with the idea of buying them anyway, but audiobooks are so expensive! This made them way more affordable. But listening takes way more time than reading, so I'm still falling behind. But at least now I can listen in the car, getting ready, running, making dinner, etc. So I'm rarely in a corner ignoring my family while I "read". Which is what was happening before.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

In the past few months, I've re-read Franny and Zooey, Room Temperature, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I also read Stephenie Meyer's The Host and, just last night, finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. For both of those last two books, I can say that I liked a lot of the ideas, but I wasn't very impressed with the writing. Which I wasn't expecting for Philip K. Dick.

Saw Perks of Being a Wallflower, ParaNorman, Shaun of the Dead (for the second time), Bridesmaids, and probably lots of other things. Listened to the new Ben Folds Five album about a hundred times, as it was the only CD in the car and the kids love it.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

krebscout wrote:In the past few months, I've re-read Franny and Zooey, Room Temperature, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I also read Stephenie Meyer's The Host and, just last night, finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. For both of those last two books, I can say that I liked a lot of the ideas, but I wasn't very impressed with the writing. Which I wasn't expecting for Philip K. Dick.

Saw Perks of Being a Wallflower, ParaNorman, Shaun of the Dead (for the second time), Bridesmaids, and probably lots of other things. Listened to the new Ben Folds Five album about a hundred times, as it was the only CD in the car and the kids love it.
Did you like the movie Perks of Being a Wallflower? I just saw it a couple weeks ago and really liked it (although it's been a while since I read the book). Mr. Mico didn't like it very much and has never read the book and doesn't like that genre in general. Just curious, I haven't talked to anyone about the movie. :)
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I did for the most part. Emma Watson was awful. Her accent, her timing, it was all strange and not as mesmerizing as Sam is supposed to be. The two boys, though, were spot on and adorable. Too adorable, maybe, to be Charlie, but man was he a good actor. That last hospital scene was pretty spectacular, and all the little surreal bits they added (the LSD match-cut? brilliant!). They sucked all the complexity out of the family (like the entire abortion story line with the sister, what? That was a huge part of Charlie's transformation, I thought), but they probably shaved it off for time, I suppose? I guess altogether I feel the same way about both the book and the movie: mostly a washy story that has a few pretty moments, and I mostly like it anyway.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I just found a cool online site for making mind maps really quickly, text2mindmap. It really starts to look nice when you drag the boxes around. The length of the connectors and the orientations of the other boxes smoothly float around to make it really visually pleasing. I just used it to make my latest blog post, a summarization of Java variables :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Digit wrote:I just found a cool online site for making mind maps really quickly, text2mindmap. It really starts to look nice when you drag the boxes around. The length of the connectors and the orientations of the other boxes smoothly float around to make it really visually pleasing. I just used it to make my latest blog post, a summarization of Java variables :)
You forgot your hastag #nerdcred.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Heh, typing '#nerdcred' into a Google images search produces a page with, among other things, a Nintendo Power Glove, a Tetris mug, and a freshly unwrapped Arduino package. I'll take the Arduino :ugeek:
Digit

Post by Digit »

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

WHAT IS THIS
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Stalking a friend on facebook (Who I'm not actually Facebook friends with) made me realize I want to reread Ender's Game.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Just read about A New Hope: Revisited. It makes me want to see it. Actually, I really want to do a Star Wars marathon.