Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Squirrel »

That's cool! Thanks for sharing, Digit! No wonder dogs stick their noses in everything- maybe it's not only to smell, but to see?
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting article with a guest who posits that our network architecture is shrinking the economy and impoverishing the middle class.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Digit

Post by Digit »

This is a 13-year-old kid's blog?! (says he was born October 1999) :o Most of those YouTube videos look like graduate-level math and physics. There sure are some smart kids in the world.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
wryness

Post by wryness »

I finished Jane Eyre a couple of days ago. I've never read it before and was considering using it with 12th-grade English classes this fall. I liked the book, but I don't think I'll use it with my classes.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

wryness wrote:I finished Jane Eyre a couple of days ago. I've never read it before and was considering using it with 12th-grade English classes this fall. I liked the book, but I don't think I'll use it with my classes.
Why not?
wryness

Post by wryness »

To be honest, I think I'm mostly just afraid to use it, Katya. :? I'm going to be working as a first-year teacher at a Title I school, and I think this book might be over some students' heads. To be even more truthful, though, I'm just not sure how I'd approach using it in class, since it's so long and I've never read it before or seen it taught. We'd probably have to do most or all of our reading in-class, as well, which doesn't increase my enthusiasm, either. I think I might try tackling this book later on in my career, but since I'd be starting from square one, it seems like teaching it this first year will be more work right now than I'm willing to handle.

Good book, though. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

wryness wrote:To be honest, I think I'm mostly just afraid to use it, Katya. :? I'm going to be working as a first-year teacher at a Title I school, and I think this book might be over some students' heads. To be even more truthful, though, I'm just not sure how I'd approach using it in class, since it's so long and I've never read it before or seen it taught. We'd probably have to do most or all of our reading in-class, as well, which doesn't increase my enthusiasm, either. I think I might try tackling this book later on in my career, but since I'd be starting from square one, it seems like teaching it this first year will be more work right now than I'm willing to handle.
That seems entirely reasonable. (And I don't necessarily think it's a must-read for high school students, but it seems like a commonly assigned book, so I was curious to hear your objections.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I started reading This is How You Die (the short story compilation edited by my favorite webcomic authors with the Machine of Death stuff). So far I like it, but reading the author bios just makes me wish I were cooler.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

C is for wrote:I finished Code Name Verity last night. Liked it about as much as I thought I would, which is very much.
I liked that one, too! (bit of a slow start, though) She has a new book coming out this fall that's supposed to be similar, called Rose Under Fire. (Also, I may have peeked at your blog and now think we should be book buddies. I've read a lot of those, too) :)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I've just finished the second episode of Whodunnit? on Hulu.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Whistler wrote:I started reading This is How You Die (the short story compilation edited by my favorite webcomic authors with the Machine of Death stuff). So far I like it, but reading the author bios just makes me wish I were cooler.
Machine of Death was so good I can't wait to read this.

Also, I tried to get my RS book club to consider MOD and was shot down by one very controlling member who only wants to read super-clean lighthearted stuff. And then she wonders why no one comes to book club.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, sometimes book clubs suck :-( why do (seemignly) none of my neighbors share my good taste in literature?
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I have had this problem in every book club I have tried to join ever. Le sigh.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:yeah, sometimes book clubs suck :-( why do (seemignly) none of my neighbors share my good taste in literature?
Move back to Provo!
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

One of my friends (or acquaintances) wants to start a book club. But the books he wants to read are all from here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/t ... -ever-read

It just doesn't seem worth it, after reading the summaries and the excerpts.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:One of my friends (or acquaintances) wants to start a book club. But the books he wants to read are all from here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/t ... -ever-read

It just doesn't seem worth it, after reading the summaries and the excerpts.
whaaa some of those books are really good and not THAT bad. Baudrillard is one of the most approachable philosophers in my book (come on! he uses disneyland as an example!). Also Cloud Atlas is totally worth reading and not too difficult.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

100 Years of Solitude is the only one on there that I've read, though there are a few more on there that I want to read. It's long and the same names are used over and over, but it is beautiful and has magical realism which is awesome.

Currently I'm watching "Life of Birds" with David Attenborough on Netflix. It is pretty cool.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:100 Years of Solitude is the only one on there that I've read, though there are a few more on there that I want to read. It's long and the same names are used over and over, but it is beautiful and has magical realism which is awesome.

Currently I'm watching "Life of Birds" with David Attenborough on Netflix. It is pretty cool.
Currently reading 100 Years... and Love in the Time...

I prefer the latter, although I just got to a part which will probably knock a star off.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I liked Love in the Time of Cholera way more than 100 Years! It is just beeeaautiful. I don't know what part you mean, though. :/
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:I liked Love in the Time of Cholera way more than 100 Years! It is just beeeaautiful. I don't know what part you mean, though. :/
His relationship with his 14-year-old ward is just hard for me to dismiss, cultural and time period differences notwithstanding. :-|