On-campus job

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Darth Fedora

On-campus job

Post by Darth Fedora »

I know a bunch of people on here have had on-campus jobs. Has anyone had one that they would recommend...to me?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I've really enjoyed all of my on campus jobs. I've worked at the Subway in the Cougareat, as a Hawker for concessions, as a concessions worker, and at the old Cannon Center. Oh, and I currently work for BYU Broadcasting on the production crew. I would recommend any of those, except my current job, but that's only because the fewer people working there the more often I get scheduled. My roommate has had problems with the Taco Bell in the Cougareat, but other than that most people seem to enjoy working there.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

I worked at the Creamery on ninth for a year and a half. it was fun and the people were cool.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I was one of those swimsuit models for art classes, then I was an RA, then I was a physics & astronomy TA for a long time. I would recommend any of those jobs, if you happen to be interested in them.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I've managed a research lab, worked grounds crew in the summer, and been a research assistant for a couple professors. I would recommend any of them. :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I've worked in the Bookstore on the sales floor and as event staff for football games, basketball games, devotionals, etc. I would recommend either of those. I've also had early morning custodial. It pays well, but getting up so early gets very wearing.

Goober says grounds crew is kinda fun too.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

swimsuit model, eh?... so nerdgirl, what are you up to this friday night?

i worked computer support for the college of fine arts, then i was a TA for ECEn 301 and now i'm a TA for CS 240. computer support was a ton of fun and i only left so i could get more face time with professors in my fields of study. ECEn 301 sucked because i hate analog circuit design, 240 can be fun expect when the students are lame.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Besides being a TA in my major, which is obviously the best job because it helps you get a real job upon graduation, I also worked at the Creamery on Ninth for 2 years. I was the "grill closer", so I can literally say I flipped burgers. Loved every minute of it. Well, except taking out the grease trap every night, that thing smelled really strange. But it was still an awesome job.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

If you're in any of the sciences, getting a job managing a research lab or doing research work for a professor are great jobs, because they have the added benefit of giving you experience in your field.

Getting a job as a department secretary or other such position is great too, because you can make a lot of contacts and get to know important people in your field.

Also, all through my time as a student I worked on the Events Staff crew at the Marriott Center and the Stadium. It's a good job if you like sports, don't mind crowds, and want to make some extra cash without a regularly scheduled position. It's also good because they allow you to work in addition to another on-campus job ... so you can make more money while still having another job that you're getting the maximally allowed hours with. However, if you don't like dealing with all sorts of people steer clear of this job.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Here are the on-campus jobs, in the order I would recommend them:

1. Lab worker in the WIDB
3. (tie) RA
3. secretary for a professor
4. games assistant/chaperone for Youth Conferences

Jobs I would UN-recommend:

5. early-morning custodial . . . a shift during waking hours would be fine, but I lasted a month on this unholy schedule
6. catering . . . should be renamed "doing dishes in scalding hot water till midnight on a weekend." I'll pass
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

bismark - what I'm up to on friday night is probably about 3,000 miles away from you (assuming you live in Provo). :) Seriously though, the swimsuit model thing was a really great job. Not a great resume-builder, but you get paid to sit around and do nothing, and you learn interesting things about art and the human body. And one guy once drew me holding a light saber. And it's really good if you have a crazy schedule, because they email you a bunch of jobs once a week and you can pick which ones work for you, and you never have to have more than a 3-hour block of time free.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I was at the Cougareat for three years, and it was good to me.

But then I get a much better, higher-paying job at Creative Marketing doing graphic design.

If you happen to be fluent in Adobe CS3, I highly recommend it.