#53928 The correlation of MBTI scores and position on the PC

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

Re: #53928 The correlation of MBTI scores and position on th

Post by vorpal blade »

I think that Liberals associate being politically liberal with openness, but Conservatives generally associate being politically liberal with the opposite of openness. I'm not saying that either the Liberals or the Conservatives are correct in this, but this is my general observation of the way they view each other. Perhaps part of the research being done on this site was to ask how liberal the person was and then try to correlate that answer with the personality factors of openness, agreeableness, or other factor. That may be why it doesn’t make a difference to your score what you pick to answer this question. Which leads one to the possibility of skewing the results by choosing all the negative personality factors and then claiming to be a person on the opposite end of the liberal/conservative political spectrum.

I think you have a point that the way we feel about ourselves on any particular day can make a difference. I don’t know if I believe that we have a single true personality. I think many of us are a bundle of conflicting personalities, and it is more a matter of which of our negative personality factors we have under control at any particular time. When we are tired, stressed, discouraged, hurt, or afraid we may lose more control over our negative personality factors than we normally would. Perhaps it is a matter of the inherent conflict between the flesh and the spirit.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm not just making that up, there's research on political orientation and openness to new experience. On the other hand, conservatives tend to be more conscientious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openness_to_experience - "openness" is a preference for variety and new experiences.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012 ... s-openness - a journalistic piece on the distinction

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6609001822 - an research article concluding that "the major dimensions of socio-political attitudes can be understood in part as expressions of the personality dimensions of Honesty–Humility and Openness to Experience."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 668.x/full - another study that found "In general, liberals are more open-minded, creative, curious, and novelty seeking, whereas conservatives are more orderly, conventional, and better organized."
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Ah, resurrecting an ooooold thread!

So I was thinking about these personality tests the other day and saw that I had scored as INTJ a few years ago when I took it. I retook it today and my personality is apparently now INFJ. My results changed from "Thinking" biased to "Feeling" biased. I do actually think this is more accurate, and it makes me wonder - did my personality change, or did my perception of myself change? I have lately been more accepting of my emotions being a part of my personality. It is entirely possible that when I took the test a few years ago I was thinking of my "ideal" self whereas now I recognize that my intuitions and feelings and whatnot are natural and it is OK.

Have any of you retaken this test (or any personality test) and found that your results had changed in some significant way? Just curious. Obviously these tests are flawed (on the internet especially), but they can still tell us some things about ourselves.
I usually get ENFJ but got ENTJ today. I think both modes are natural to me; I'm not sure what the dominant mode is.