Making meals for priesthood leaders

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Whistler

Making meals for priesthood leaders

Post by Whistler »

So... my ward is starting to feed our bishopric on Sundays (i.e., bring them breakfast/dinner on Sundays and dinner on Wednesdays). I'm not sure how I feel about this. Can't they pack a lunch/dinner? I do it all the time! I feel like the argument of "they're starving!" doesn't make me pity them; it makes me disappointed that they did not think ahead and prepare. Does anyone else have an opinion about this?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I know that in the past, my mom has brought our bishopric lunch on a Sunday afternoon, but only during the tithing meetings whatever-they're-called. And she does it because she wants to, not because it's an assignment, but because she wants to. I don't think anyone else I know has ever brought our bishop lunch, or dinner, or breakfast. There is no need for that. I agree with you.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

precedence for such things certainly exists in church history!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I guess I'll come out with an opposing view and point out that the members of your bishopric have very time-consuming callings which take them away from their families and home wards. Obviously, they or their families could pack a them a meal when they're required to be at church for such long hours, but if this is one thing your ward can do that could take one burden off their backs, I don't see why you're begrudging them it.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

I actually hated this practice when I was an executive secretary + ward clerk in a student ward (yes, miserably, I was both). Not because I didn't think that it was a nice gesture for the bishopric, but because they never brought any for me! I started at 8 am on Sundays by working on MIS, updating the ward calling list, printing and preparing the Sacrament Meeting programs, and printing out the interview schedules for the bishopric. Ward Council (which the Bishopric wanted to hold every week) started at 10. Church was from 11 to 2. I often had to skip Sunday School and Elders Quorum Meeting to coordinate interviews with the members of the Bishopric during that time. After Church I had to go help the First Counselor with tithing on FIS. After dropping off the tithing at the bank, we'd head back to campus where I'd continue coordinating interviews usually until 6 pm but sometimes as late as 8 pm. I would take advantage of this time to call people and ask them to speak or give prayers in the next week's Sacrament meeting. Yeah, the Bishopric made me do that, too. They told me who they wanted, but I had to make the calls. Fast Sundays were slightly worse since our Stake required monthly attendance and home teaching reports instead of quarterly, and they were always due on Fast Sunday. Things got really ugly when it came time for tithing settlement in December and Ecclesiastical Endorsements in March. I digress; basically I didn't get to eat between 8 am and 6 to 8 pm. I know I could've brought something for myself. But it still irked me that girls were always showing up with food or treats for the Bishopric and I had to sit there in the hall with them and chat with them, the whole time smelling the food. Even worse were the two girls who (independently of each other) took pity on me and promised to bring me some food the next week and then never did.

So, after that long-winded rant, I'd say bringing food/treats for the Bishopric is nice, but shouldn't be required. And if you do bring some, bring enough for the executive secretary, too. There's a good chance he's putting in the longest hours of any of them.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Well, in most of my wards it's been one of those things that someone decided to start doing, not that we were asked to do. I don't know about my current ward, but my last ward we definitely fed the guys that were stuck with the bishopric as well. I don't have a problem with it, as service helps every one out. And I would love to be able to help feed people, but my situation at the moment is such that I'm having to learn to accept service rather than give in this regard.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, I guess in my ideal world, service doesn't have to be scheduled. I'm not really sure why it bothers me - maybe I'm in one of those stingy "I can't help anyone" modes, or maybe I don't include the bishopric in my "people who need service" mental category. Hmm.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

In my last ward, random food stuff was just dropped off for all to enjoy.

I'm not sure how the current ward works things though.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I have never seen or heard of this practice. But, I go without meals all the time, so I never would have thought of it as a needful service. I guess it makes sense. If he was a good bishop, though, he'd give the meal up to his executive secretary or ward clerk :)
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Hm. Why wouldn't service be scheduled in an ideal world? Organization is a good thing, right?

I think everyone just thinks a fresh hot meal is tastier than a bagged sandwich, and it's a way to say thanks.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:yeah, I guess in my ideal world, service doesn't have to be scheduled.
By that standard, no one should have a calling that requires showing up to church every week. ;)
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.

I was a stake clerk for nearly ten years, and I saw a number of General Authorities as they came to visit for a stake conference. The General Authorities are in meetings nearly all day on the Saturday; first meeting with the stake presidency and clerk, then priesthood leaders, and finally in the evening with all the adults. They have little time or no time to go out and eat. They never wanted to inconvenience the stake members in any way, but they also knew that people really wanted to show their love and appreciation by providing food. So they would let the stake president know that if the stake wished to provide a modest luncheon they would schedule some time for it. The stake president would relay the information, usually to the stake Relief Society president, who would prepare an elaborate meal with the finest china she could find. The General Authority would graciously accept this offering and praise the ones who worked so hard, but I knew that in his heart he would have been content with just a sandwich.

I felt the same way when I served in bishoprics, only it was not the tradition in our stake to prepare meals for them. Occasionally the wife of one of the bishopric would bring in some food for everyone, and it seemed to me it was really appreciated.
Miss Scarlett

Post by Miss Scarlett »

I thought it was sort a strange practice, at first, too. But my opinions have since changed! First of all, I think it's a really nice gesture, and my bishop always thanks whoever brought him something (I have seen the Exec Sec with plates of food, too, so I think generally people bring food for all). Yes, they could bring food with them, but there's just something about having a hot meal personally delivered that would just have to boost the morale. Now, secondly, here's the real reason it's a good idea: during Ward Prayer, my bishop always talks up the meal, and identifies who made it, then tells all the boys they should get them some! So, it's advertising! And this kind I'm ok with, because I'm really quite vain about my cooking, and don't mind it being advertised if it lures in the men! So, there you go: good service, good feelings, and hopefully some good dating possibilities, haha.