Abortion

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

Abortion

Post by Damasta »

I've heard two Scriptural arguments for when the spirit enters the body. But given how contradictory they are, I'd say we can't really conclude anything from them. Here they are:
Luke 1:41, 44 wrote:And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
The argument is that John's spirit was already in Elisabeth's womb and so when he 'recognized' the Savior, for whom he would prepare the way, he wiggled. Elizabeth gave birth three months later (v. 56), so the spirit must enter the womb by the beginning of the third trimester.
3 Ne. 1:13 wrote:Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets.
The argument here is that since Jesus was talking to Nephi, he hadn't entered the womb, yet. So the spirit enters the womb just before, or at birth.

Further arguments can be made either way to negate the other, but really it's inconclusive.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've heard those two scriptures used together to argue that not only do we not know when the spirt enters the body, it may not even happen at the same time for every baby.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

The argument that's always made the most sense to me is this one (although, I was looking for the reference, and couldn't find it, so maybe someone with better searching skills could?):

Without the spirit, we are just lifeless husks. We cannot move, act, or do anything. Hence, once an unborn child is capable of moving, it is because the spirit is now inhabiting that body, and moving it.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Marduk wrote:Without the spirit, we are just lifeless husks. We cannot move, act, or do anything. Hence, once an unborn child is capable of moving, it is because the spirit is now inhabiting that body, and moving it.
Maybe, but the chromosomes are moving and the body is growing at all stages.
Damasta wrote:The argument here is that since Jesus was talking to Nephi, he hadn't entered the womb, yet. So the spirit enters the womb just before, or at birth.
I've heard that argument too, but then again we don't know if Christ was able to manifest words to Nephi while his spirit was in the body, or if Christ's spirit just hadn't entered the body yet. We don't know.

So, I think the point is, we don't know when a spirit enters the body, nor should it matter so much.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Marduk wrote:Without the spirit, we are just lifeless husks. We cannot move, act, or do anything. Hence, once an unborn child is capable of moving, it is because the spirit is now inhabiting that body, and moving it.
Would this apply to people who are comatose? This could have interesting implications for whether or not one should continue life support.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I think we can all agree on death as the end of the union of spirit and body. Now, as to what exactly constitutes death, that is a can of worms with seemingly no end....