Intellectual rationality

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Intellectual rationality

Post by Marduk »

So, This is an open-ended question for anyone who would like to comment.

It seems that our approach to knowledge, as individuals, is predominantly about finding data and information, ideologies, what have you, that fit into our preconcieved notions, rather than collecting information and using that to construct our intellectual schemas. Certainly in a political or religious discussion, frequently we see individuals only arguing and finding ideas that support their already-formed beliefs, rather than try to understand which viewpoint has the most support.

As a side note, it seems that this frequently opens up ad-hominem arguments. (Personal anecdote: my sister the BYU professor recently sat in for a forum about racial bias in the workplace. Afterward, all attendees were asked to rate professors on percieved bias about the specific topic, and my sister, guilty of no personal agenda, was found to have one, most likely for simply being a woman and Hispanic. This seems to suggest that one cannot argue for the merits of one's own position, support must come from outside sources).

Lastly, this seems very counter-intuitive from an LDS perspective. While we believe that God is the repositor of all knowledge, and that there is more knowledge available now than ever before, we also believe that reason and logic are God-given tools to help us acquire more knowledge, and that there is far, far more knowledge that we have yet to acquire than our current understanding comprises. Yet we seem as susceptible to this trap, if not moreso, than anyone else.

Anyone care to add any thoughts to my inane ramblings? Do my observations have any merit?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes: Deduction, not induction. Gosh!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Sigh. It always makes me sad to see posts that I create, that I think have great potential, die by the wayside. Well, thanks to Whistler, for being the lone respondent. Here's to hoping more of my posts aren't found in the internet graveyard.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

FWIW, I found the OP very interesting and thought-provoking, I just didn't feel I had anything to add to the conversation. Especially after Whistler summed it all up so well. :)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I also found your post very interesting. I just don't have much to add at the moment because I'm trying to 8 million things this month. But if you keep writing interesting stuff, I'll keep reading it, even if I don't have anything to add. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I can be a great conversation-killer sometimes.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So, what I get is, "you have wonderful things to say, Marduk, I just don't want to talk to you."

Ok, just kidding. But still, it basically amounts to the same thing, right?