Stereotypical LDS

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Damasta

Stereotypical LDS

Post by Damasta »

⋯Anomalous wrote in Board question #55192 that she and some of the other writers weren't "stereotypically LDS".

Whenever I read statements like that I always get my hackles up for a minute because the "typical LDS" people I know are people who are sometimes weak, but generally have a good heart and strive to make themselves and those around them better. So were someone to take pride in not being "typically LDS" that would mean to me that they were weak but felt justified in their weakness. Or felt they were privy to special insights about truth--never through the manifestations of the Spirit or obedience, but through the flawed institutions of man (e.g. journalism, science, alternative medicine, the John Birch Society, postmodernism, &c.)--that the cattle who make up the rank-and-file of the Church just don't get. For them being an outlier isn't just permissible, it makes them superior.

However, ⋯Anomalous didn't say "typically LDS". She said "stereotypically LDS". That leaves the possibility that she was referring to a type of LDS that exists but doesn't actually represent the majority of the (active)* members. So I ask you guys, what do you think is a stereotypical Latter-day Saint?

*I don't mean to construe this as a judgment. I simply mean that those who are inactive are more likely to engage in behaviors which would skew or obfuscate what we're trying to call "typical" or "stereotypical" LDS behaviors and attitudes here. For example, in one of the branches I served in on my mission, they had 1000 people on record. Only 40 to 50 came to Church regularly. If we took the average behaviors (smoking, drinking, &c.) and beliefs (Catholocism with heavy veneration of Mary and Saints with occasional worship of the Niño Fidencio) of the ~950 inactive members in the branch boundaries, we would have an inaccurate picture of true LDS behavior.
Tao

Post by Tao »

For the Utah/Idaho 'Jello-belt'? Republican. And, if my mission was any fair sample selection, surprisingly sheltered and all too often somewhat frighteningly narrow minded. Stereotypes aren't hard to find, look at any cultural satire/parody and you'll harvest plenty. Remember a stereotype is a preconceived and oversimplified notion of characteristics typical of a person or group; a trait need not be anywhere near 100% to be picked up as a stereotype, even 1 or .5% can suffice. The "seriously so blessed" website couldn't sustain it's followers if the image it projected wasn't something that its readers couldn't go "y'know, I've seen that before!" Does it describe every member in the church? Obviously not, but odds are you can think of someone in your ward (or a previous ward) that seems strikingly close. If you're really keen, you'll see some of the same tendencies within yourself, and will be able to fend off making decisions similar to what you laughed at earlier. If so, congratulations, you've benefited from satire and reaped stereotypes' silver lining.

Branching off from that thought, if you have an associate that assumes all 'mormons' wear WWTAMND? keychains and act as portrayed in the array of pop-LDS 'comedies', would you not assay to assert your individuality and prove you were not stamped from that mold?

As a side note: I found today's title bar fitting. It would appear that at one time, Claudio was both a Mormon cliché (see also: stereotype) AND a puppy. Glad to know the two aren't mutually exclusive.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i don't know if any of y'all watch south park, but the creators grew up in colorado around a lot of mormons, so allow me to shed some light on "the outsiders" stereotypes of mormons...ahem...

mormons are freakishly nice and happy ALL THE TIME. they appear to never have problems because they are ALWAYS SMILING. their clothes are always ironed. they are freakishly intelligent. they spend all their free time volunteering with their family because they LOVE THEIR FAMILY VERY MUCH ALL THE TIME. they all wear white shirts. they say they think it's great that people have their own beliefs, but are always using their niceness to convince people to convert. they eat a lot of rice krispie treats. and according to the creators of south park, only mormons and sadaam hussein are in heaven (hussein is there as punishment because being around freakishly nice mormons is hell for him). and in heaven they put on plays with about how stealing makes the baby jesus cry, etc etc.

also, mormons wear weird magical underwear and love the patriarchy.

i think i about covered it.
beautiful, dirty, rich
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone here in Orlando who gave me and my roommates a ride to church one day. "I can tell you're Utah mormons - you smile all the time!" Later, when he came to find us to give us a ride back: "Look at you, just sitting on the grass being all happy. Typical Utah Mormons."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Imogen wrote:they eat a lot of rice krispie treats.
That made me laugh. Thanks, Imogen.
Anomalous

Re: Stereotypical LDS

Post by Anomalous »

Damasta wrote:However, ⋯Anomalous didn't say "typically LDS". She said "stereotypically LDS". That leaves the possibility that she was referring to a type of LDS that exists but doesn't actually represent the majority of the (active)* members. So I ask you guys, what do you think is a stereotypical Latter-day Saint?
Thanks for clearing my name. (: I have the same reaction to when people talk about the "typical LDS" person. By stereotypical I did, in fact, mean those stereotypes that seem so abundant, but that really don't apply to most Mormons.

Oh, and if I ever complain about people who are "stereotypically LDS," I am usually complain about those members of the Church who judge me for behaving or believing differently than they do, all the while putting on an "I'm the perfect Mormon" show. These other stereotypes are just so much more fun, though...I didn't catch if early marriage made the list, but I would definitely throw that on there.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney